Kitchen Wiring.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

What size cable and mcb would you need for a oven that says total electric comsumption 2.3kw

thanks

Sponsored Links
Well, by calculation 1mm² and 10A but you wouldn't.

Do you have a cooker circuit from the CU to the kitchen?

You could plug it in to a normal socket although it is better if it is on a separate circuit.

i sorry for the lack of detail.

The cooker is currently on a 32mcb circuit not sure on the size of the cable.

My kitchen is an old extension of the back of the house so its miles away from the consumer unit.

I was thinking of adding another consumer unit into the kitchen with a source from the main consumer unit so I could add a new circuit for the cooker, a new circuit for the induction hob I intend to get, was also thinking about add the kitchen sockets onto the new consumer unit as ALL the sockets in the house are on one circuit.

Just researching into cable sizes and mcbs...

The oven totals 2.3kw and the induction hob totals 7.2kw

Just need to know what sizes and mcbs for the above circuits and a cable size and mcb to run from the 2nd consumer unit to the main unit...

My brother in law is a sparky, but does not do mates rates and is unhelpful with advice. Was going to get him in before launch day to test it lol

You can wire the oven to the same connector as the hob.

Either wire a socket to the connector and plug in the oven or
wire a Fused Connection Unit with 13A fuse to the connector and hard-wire the oven flex.

Sponsored Links
could you explain that abit better :)

so I could simply spur a fused 13amp socket off the cooker switch and plug the oven in to the new 13amp socket and run the hob hard wired into the old cooker circuit??

also what would be the best way of extending the cable??

The current cooker switch is on one side of the kitchen and the new layout if I were to use the cooker switch for the induction hob it would be 3m by 1m away from the current location of the cooker switch.

so I could simply spur a fused 13amp socket off the cooker switch and plug the oven in to the new 13amp socket and run the hob hard wired into the old cooker circuit??
Yes.

There should be a Cooker Connection Unit behind the cooker.
(If not, run a 6mm² cable from Cooker Switch and fit a CCU.)

Run the hob and oven socket (or FCU) from this CCU.

The current cooker switch is on one side of the kitchen and the new layout if I were to use the cooker switch for the induction hob it would be 3m by 1m away from the current location of the cooker switch.

The cooker switch should be within 2 metres of the hob for use in an emergency.

cool :)

I'll have to move the socket nearer lol

so is this the sort of thing we are talking about
ovenhob.jpg

found this pic..

ta for your help....started trashing the kitchen :)

the wire between the ccu and the fsd is that 6mm too?

is the a maximum length allowed between the ccu and the fsd?

the wire between the ccu and the fsd is that 6mm too?
CCU and FCU - 4mm² will do

is the a maximum length allowed between the ccu and the fsd?
CCU and FCU - No.

This has escalated since your first question.
Because of what you are now doing the job has become notifiable to the Local Authority (before you start) unless your Brother-in-law is registered to self-certify.

If your brother-in-law is registered but will not do mates' rates then you should pay brother-in-law's rates and have him view your work throughout the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back