Kitchen worktop - gaps and tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just put in some solid wood worktops to my kitchen. I want to tile above these but there are a couple of issues:

1. there is an expansion gap at the back of the worktop and at the ends of about 5mm, which I'd like to conceal in some way
2. the distance between the top of the worktop and the window sill is the depth of 1 tile, plus about 30mm.

I was wondering whether I should use something like a short upstand in the same wood - maybe 20-25mm square - which would cover the expansion gap, could be mitred at the end of the worktop, and which would let me use a single tile under the window (and avoid cutting lots of strips of tiles all the way round the wall).

Does this sound like a good plan - or will it look rubbish!

Thanks
Keith

Sponsored Links
Expansion gap seems large, 2mm would suffice, tile will hide gap without need for upstand.
Idealy use a larger tile format or cut lower tiles so under sill is larger so it looks more balanced, though for a recent job I uses strips of worktop to form both upstand and new sills.

Thanks for the reply.

The worktops are in - so there's no scope to change the gap now!

I had wondered if instead of tiling across the bottom of the window sill I instead put in a wooden sill, which could drop a little in front, ideally letting me use a single row of tiles below the window.

I still have a gap at the end of the worktop where it meets the row, and I don't really want to extend the tiling beyond the front edge of the adjacent worktop.

I'll keep thinking, and I'll work something out.

Keith

Pic might help, can't make sense of your description.
''I still have a gap at the end of the worktop where it meets the row, and I don't really want to extend the tiling beyond the front edge of the adjacent worktop. ''

Sponsored Links
Ah.

That should read "gap at the end of the worktop where it meets the wall".

The worktop is installed with a wall at either end. There is a 5mm gap at the end of the worktop where it meets the wall. This is visible from the front.

If I used a small upstand I could continue it down the front of the worktop to conceal the gap.

Otherwise with no upstand then if the vertical edge of my tiled area stops in line with the worktop front edge then the gap will still be visible (unless I just fill it with caulk). If I extended the vertical of the tiled edge beyond this then I'd be able to hide it.

I appreciate that this might not make things any clearer!

Keith

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back