kitchen worktop idea?

Re the biscuits a u shaped kitchen query I think it would have been a case of..

Your two sides of the u, are propped with the wall edge on the units, and the front edge up in the air some number of inches
The bottom of the u is entirely in the air the same number of inches
The biscuits are fitted and then the props removed and the whole lot pushed down, coming together as it goes. Remember the biscuits don't need to be particularly long as they're really only stabilising the two joints vertically.. Glueing and dog boning the joints will form the main effort in having a stable joint.

Dare say that wiping with a wet cloth caused some of the wood fibres to expand.. I think you might have to sand and oil without wiping with water, as it will be the oil that helps the surface resist the water.. But I'm prepared to be wrong on that because I've only ever worked with flooring in a surface treatment capacity

Sponsored Links
Ah ok, I had read that raising the grain then sanding gives a smoother finish. Also it's important to clear area of dust before waxing so used half dried baby wipes to clean surface. Will give it another go. 👍
Going to tackle my daughter's breakfast bar today. Need to measure her wheelchair height and cut sides, I think I may round corners of that one as coming off chimney breast into room although rest are square edged.
I had thought about slight concave curve on front to make more comfortable for her? Not sure how easy this is without a template.
Also radiator on that wall above height of bar, so planning on boxing in and routing grooves for heat out of top?

Oh, and also bought some hot rods with no jig!! Gotta try work that one out as well😀

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back