Kitchen worktop jointing orientation..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My next task in the renovation is fitting a 40mm laminate kitchen worktop. The layout of the kitchen is a lopsided U shape, 2 sides are following walls, the third launches out from a chimney breast to form a short breakfast bar.. Diagram below:

My dilemma is which orientation to put the corner joint (between the 2 walls) and how to joint in the breakfast bar. As either of the two lengths could effectively be 'wall to wall' I imagine this creates a special kind of trouble (the length running adjacent to the door/window fits below the window by a good few inches).

The walls are most likely quite wobbly, given the patchy plastering, but will be tiled after the event to hide any smallish gaps. I've noticed in fitting the carcases that the chimney breast tapers as it goes back to the wall.

How would a more experienced carpenter approach this? I want a mitred joint, to avoid that horrible muck-trap you get with the metal covers on a butt joint, and can easily hire a jig to achieve this, I'm just wondering about the best way to cut the breakfast bar in a way to keep the surfaces clean and continuous?

Sponsored Links
Hi based on your drawings there im assuming the actual length of join on the breakfast bar would be quite small, if so i would be tempted to jus cut the worktops from corner point to the corner of the chimney creating a butt joint which can then be routed underneath and bolted as normal, as for which way you join the other end its basically a case of working out which end is more square for the ease of getting that in, its not easy to explain or see your exact problem on here but hope this helps,
Gary @ facelift kitchens

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back