Kitchen worktop joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Was doing the rounds of the usual diy store suspects at the weekend looking at worktops and it got me thinking about worktop joints....

Now for a long time I was thinking of doing the butt and scribe joint which seems to make sense on a worktop with a rounded front edge....

However the worktops I am looking at have square front edges and I noticed in places like Wickes / B&Q they had literally just butted them up to each other at right angles with straight edges.

Is this just a lazy way to do it because they are only display kitchens, or is this a suitable way to join such worktops?

Are there any pros (apart from being a lot easier) or cons to using this method as opposed to the butt and scribe method?

(Hope I explained everything ok).

GK

Sponsored Links
I cant see the problem in that to be fair but im not a kitchen fitted. I guess they'd used biscuits as well and maybe worktop clamps

Not sure at the moment, have looked at both solid wood and laminate...

Will this make a difference?

Sponsored Links
If you use scribe the joints (with router and jig) you are machining both joints for a perfect fit. If you just butt the joints you are assuming the edges of you new worktop are perfect. They won't be

Hope this helps

Also you can buy adjustable worktop jigs so if you kitchen is out of square you machine joints to suit

I asked of material as I've never seen a laminate worktop with a straight front edge. The rolled edge of course allows the laminated layer to transition from worktop to work front via a radiused form. I cannot see how the same could be achieved on a 90 degree edge unless it were two pieces ... that would introduce great chance for the front edge to be caught / chipped along the transition edge, while also I would believe introduce greater risk of moisture penetration to the core.

you can have a laminate worksurface with a square or postform edge - most of the square edge ones I've seen are in two pieces. It could also be a composite worksurface. Any chipboard core surface is going to be damaged if not installed or looked after correctly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back