Kitchen worktop, laminate lifting up!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

A month or so ago I bought from Howdens some square edged kitchen laminate worktop. The front 38mm edge is a separate strip of laminate to the laminate on the top surface. I got a recommendation for a carpenter to come and fit it. He was clearly an experienced guy and I think he did a good job.

However along the front edge, the top surface laminate has started to come up (photo attached). It seems pretty clear that water has got in. When I went to Howdens they told me that the top edge at the front needs to be smeared with the ColorFill worktop joint sealant which isn't something we did.

It seems pretty unlikely to me that that's a requirement, so I have a few questions:

1) Is sealing the top front edge with the joint sealant a standard practice?

2) If not, how do I prove it so I can get Howdens to pay for the replacement of my worktops?

3) Does anyone know who actually makes Howdens square edge worktops, so I can ask them for their installation advice? (possibly in Northampton)

Any other advice will be very welcome.

Attachments

• IMAG0813c.jpg
    IMAG0813c.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,088
Sponsored Links
I've found an interesting conversation, that should result in a nice ending. :)

"If Howdens or the tops are FIRA registered start a complaint through them. I has a customer do this with a Homebase supplied laminate floor that expanded with water damage and they paid in full for the floor and fitting. Amazing as it was in a kitchen and the lady liked to mop a lot!"

http://community.screwfix.com/threads/advice-on-square-edge-laminate-worktop.154340/page-2

It's appears you ain't the only one.... :/

The FIRA connection is interesting and I've been given the name of someone to speak to there (when he's back from holiday), thanks for the link Crystalclear.

Are you sure your fitter sealed the underside and sink cut out, the location of the lifting [close to sink ]could be water damage from below, and would be a fitting error.

Sponsored Links
Definitely coming in the top front edge as I described above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back