kitchen worktops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi 1st post new member
:!: :?:
i want to make the gap for my gas cooker a little larger about 1.5cm
can i cut it with the work top still in place or do i have to take off and reverse it
which saw do i use ie circular or jig

Sponsored Links
If the worktop is jointed in any way it will be almost impossible to take-out a section and turn it over without damaging the joint edges (the laminate will probably chip), always assuming the fitter hasn't bonded/glued the joint permanently. You'll also have to get the worktop out and the rear edge will be sealed with silicone, not to mention probably sitting beneath a row of tiles. I do the occassional in-situ worktop replacement and I can tell you that once a worktop goes in you generally need to destroy it to get it out.

That leaves cutting in situ. Is there actually a big enough gap between the cabinets to cut an extra 1.5cm width out, bearing in mind that ideally you should cap the exposed worktop ends next to a gas cooker with something like an aluminium cap strip? I find it strange that a fitter has put in a cooker with an overhang like that. However, if you insist on doing this you'll need a jigsaw which can have it's orbit action switched off and some downcut blades (Bosch T101BR) to make the majority of the cut and a Fein Multimaster with something like a dished circular blade to finish off the cut. This will still leave you with a roughish edge and some chipping out, which is another good reason to cap over the exposed ends with ally finishing strips - just remember to seal the exposed edges with silicone sealant before capping off.

Good luck! You may need it

Scrit

hi
thanks for your valued comments
I had a go at the job this morning all i had to do was remove the old cooker remove the alloy strip meausure the amount needed to be removed and very gently cut with a jig saw clean the underside of the alloy strip and replace with sillicone and screws
as i started to make the cut my heart was pounding if i make a bad job of this our lass will kill me so i am glad she was not around
all in all i made a very good job ,either god or someone up there was looking over my shoulder, i am no joiner so there was a lot of luck
now we can go get a better cooker
the fitter left 55cm instead of 60cm
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back