Knocking down a studwall (is this safe?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am going to knock down a stud wall. Currently it is 2 bedrooms which I want to make into a large bedroom. I have had a look in the attic and there are a couple of spacers between the roof joist and the ceiling joist. They are 2 foot (24 inch) from the stud wall and also 2 foot in either side of the stud wall. I have attached a picture explaining the situation.

My question is, is it safe to knock down the stud wall. Will I get any bending or arching in the roof?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The stud wall has nothing to do with the roof.

From what I have read it does. If the joists run parallel to the stuf wall it is most likely not a supporting wall but if it runs perpendicular to the stud wall which it does it most likely is a supporting wall.

What you call spacers are hangers, which are nailed to the flat runner, which in turn is nailed to the tops of the ceiling joists. This helps to stop them sagging.
The stud wall below will not provide any significant support to your ceiling. If it did, the original builders wouldn't have bothered putting in the hangers and runner.

Sponsored Links
What you call spacers are hangers, which are nailed to the flat runner, which in turn is nailed to the tops of the ceiling joists. This helps to stop them sagging.
The stud wall below will not provide any significant support to your ceiling. If it did, the original builders wouldn't have bothered putting in the hangers and runner.

Thank you for your useful information. Should I check that the perpendicular joists are not leaning/resting on the stud wall before I knock it down? If they are what would you suggest?

Would I have I put hangers all the way along?

When they built the house the ceiling joist would have been there before the stud wall. The stud wall will be nailed to the ceiling joist only to hold it in its place and not to support the ceiling.

When they built the house the ceiling joist would have been there before the stud wall. The stud wall will be nailed to the ceiling joist only to hold it in its place and not to support the ceiling.

Ok, I am just a bit concerned that the stud wall supports the joists from sagging. Would this be possible as the joists are going perpendicular to the stud wall.

The ceiling joists could well be nailed to the stud wall but that doesn't mean to say that the wall is supporting the ceiling. They might have nailed the studs to the ceiling joists (or through a top plate) from below, just to stabilize the wall.

With that runner and hangers 2ft away in the roof, there shouldn't be a problem.

The ceiling joists could well be nailed to the stud wall but that doesn't mean to say that the wall is supporting the ceiling. They might have nailed the studs to the ceiling joists (or through a top plate) from below, just to stabilize the wall.

With that runner and hangers 2ft away in the roof, there shouldn't be a problem.

Ok, I was thinking the lateral wood construction in the stud wall may be supporting the joists. The hangers are 2 foot away from the stud however the runners are closer, one around 6 inch away from the start of the wall.

If there is a horizontal piece of timber at the top of the wall, immediately below the ceiling, it would have been nailed to the ceiling joists from below just to give a straight line for fixing the studs.

That was all you needed to know after posting a very clear annotated photo. Now go away and either knock the wall down, as you've been told is possible now on 4 different occasions, or leave it be and ignore the experts and experienced.

That was all you needed to know after posting a very clear annotated photo. Now go away and either knock the wall down, as you've been told is possible now on 4 different occasions, or leave it be and ignore the experts and experienced.

For your information mr arrogant, the ceiling did sag approx. 10mm and needed double supports on the ceiling joists.

For your information mr arrogant, the ceiling did sag approx. 10mm and needed double supports on the ceiling joists.

So you knocked it down. Good you was always going to get a little movement. Think about it when they built the house the ceiling joists would have gone in first on to the wall plate then the roof will have been built then the stud walls would have been built then the load of plaster boards would have been added.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back