Knocking noise from pipes/boiler even tho' boiler is off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I hope someone can help....

Every night we get a loud bang somewhere in the heating pipes. This happens about every 5-6 minutes, and sounds like someone has hit a pipe with a hammer. It continues for about 5-6 hours after the boiler/heating has switched off, so i cant imagine it is a pipe contracting all that time (and also it happens at very regular time intervals) . Has anyone any ideas what may be causing this ? Is it air trapped somewhere ?

FYI, we also have an odd situation where as soon as the boiler kicks in, there is the same loud knocking noise that goes continously until the boiler kicks off (it sounds like pipes expanding, but never stops and happens immediately that the boiler comes on and then stops immediately it goes off, to be replaced by the 5-6 minute sound).

Do you think this may be connected ?

We have an old (about 15 yrs) Potterton Netaheat Electronic (thats all its says on it) boiler, Grundflos pump, and micorbore system, with 15 rads (2 of which are heated towel rails).

thanks for any advice.....

Sponsored Links
have you had a go at bleeding sistem for air sounds like you could have a pocket traped somewhere

I think you need to get a boiler engineer in. It sounds very odd to get a noise like that when the boiler is off, so I think you may have something very odd happening with the boiler - possibly the pilot light staying on continuously.

Do not attempt to do anything to the pilot light or anything that involves taking off the main cover on this boiler - it's potentially very dangerous. The noise when the boiler is on indicates localised overheating in the heat exchanger which may require flushing and cleaning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back