Kudox radiators, never again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am I the only one to have problems with these blasted radiators?

This is the second Kudox radiator I've fitted and the second to be returned due to the plastic plugs fitted at the factory. They've been fitted so tightly (and sprayt painted) that when I try to use the biggest screwdriver I have to unscrew them it simply mashes up the plastic and renders the plug useless. Another minor annoyance is the fiddly side guards on the rad. No surprise they are the cheapest rads on the Screwfix site.

The last occasion this happened I returned the radiator to Screwfix and even they couldn't get the plastic plugs off. Seriously Kudox time to redesign these silly plugs. Amazingly on the Screwfix site this rad has only 4/5 star ratings from supposedly happy customers. Barlo next time at least I can get the plugs off.

Attachments

• 20170114_195348.jpg
    20170114_195348.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 908
Sponsored Links
The plugs are throw away. Big screwdriver tapped with a hammer and they come out easily.

Do you mean tapped from the side/rim of the plug, worried about damaging the rad thread.

Is there a correct tool for removing these?

thanks

Punch the flat head driver through the plug and unscrew...or use pump pliers around the edge of plug and unscrew.
Industry gone to the dogs.

Sponsored Links
Punch the flat head driver through the plug and unscrew...
Industry gone to the dogs.

Hmm, you sure? Suppose could try this on one of them but isn't this likely to knock of a piece of the plug into the rad?

GusGF don't understand your problem or are you having a laugh , come on FFS

MOUNTAIN AND MOLE HILL COMES TO MIND

I've fitted two in the last week. As someone else has said, just stick a big screwdriver in the end, welt it a couple of times with a hammer (the screwdriver, not the rad :ROFLMAO: ) then twist. No problem :D

No it's not a wind up, and yes I know the answer seems obvious.

I'm just peeved that I now have to go out and buy a large bladed screwdriver just for these rads (nobody I know even has one of these). Why an earth couldn't they have used plugs like Barlo rads which are easy as pie to remove (after all who doesn't have an adjustable spanner in their toolkit).

I think with this one when they sprayed the rad paint has seeped into the threads hence it's more of a challenge. The last Kudox rad I had they came out with little effort, can't remember what I used to remove them. As I said in my previous post the guys at screwfix couldn't even remove them when I last had to take a Kudox rad back.

Anyway I just wanted a rant and thanks for all the helpful posts I'm sure I'll get it sorted.

Surely you've picked up a suitable screwdriver over the years.

To be fair though, even the guys at Screwfix couldn't get it open so I'm sure none of us could either. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back