Ladder for my skylight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a skylight directly in the ceiling of my study. It's openable and large enough to admit a person. It leads on to a flat (leaded, walk-worthy, safe) roof where I want to sit on fine evenings. The ceiling height is about 9ft.

Question: is there a kind of folding ladder that will collapse either against a wall or against the ceiling? I don't want to have to carry in, assemble and then disassemble & stow a ladder every time I go up there. (That's what I have to do at the moment!)

A Ramsay ladder will not do as it needs an attic to retract into. There is no such space available in my study.

Thanks! Alison

Sponsored Links
Is there any way you can fix the top of the ladder with hinges and have a rope over a pulley so you can then pull the ladder up flat against the ceiling when not in use. I've seen this done and it is an easy way to store a ladder out of the way when not in use.

I have a skylight directly in the ceiling of my study. It's openable and large enough to admit a person. It leads on to a flat leaded,
can you give me your no. and postcode - I`ll come and case, er inspect the lead for safety ;)

Sponsored Links
... pull the ladder up flat against the ceiling when not in use. I've seen this done and it is an easy way to store a ladder out of the way when not in use.

This sounds both pleasantly low-tech and relatively simple to do, though the ladder would still have fold or slide smoothly and easily, since the room is only 6ft wide and the distance to the rim of the skylight is about 9ft.

My clunky aluminium decorating ladder does slide but only with the aid of elbow grease and language unbecoming to a lady. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back