Ladders...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have just purchased a second-hand set of roofing ladders so I can fix my roof before it rains from Gumtree. The hooks which essentially keep the ladder in place when it is up are looking pretty corroded - my question is does anybody know where I can pick up aftermarket ladder hooks(?) or some kind of alternative which will stop me creaming in next time I use the ladder?!

Sponsored Links
B&Q used to sell the kits to convert a standard ladder to a cat ladder(ish).

Thanks for your reples - sorry if I was not clear but i meant the hooks which are hard riveted onto the bottom of the top section of ladder - the bits which hook onto the bottom section to hold the extended section in place.
The roof hooks seem ok.

Sponsored Links
So, you mean a set of ladders to get you onto the roof?
Not a set of roof ladders?
If your ladders are secondhand and look in a rather sad state of repair then bin them, don't feck around with substandard equipment.

As said, it's a long way down.

i don't need to hire a roofer - i need to fix my ladder.

Im not ****ing about with substandard equipment hence the original post. Any relevant suggestions would be welcome.

Been using ladders for 15 years daily, and wouldn't DREAM of attempting a repair on them. If they're damaged or corroded bin them and buy new. Or see if some idiot on gumtree will buy them (if your conscience will allow it)

i don't need to hire a roofer - i need to fix my ladder.

Im not **** about with substandard equipment hence the original post. Any relevant suggestions would be welcome.

To get the right kit you need to know the makers but they probably don't sell spares for ladders.

So no one can really answer your question.

You want a constructive reply?

Don't buy crap off Gumtree.

Edit: beaten to it by previous poster. Lesson: don't get a brew before pressing the submit button.

A company can be prosecuted under H&S regulations if someone hurts themselves using a defective ladder.

If you should fall and kill yourself your insurance company may well take the same attitude and not pay out.
Where would your family be then? No husband/father and no money to bury him with.

Use some common sense and destroy those ladders so neither you or anyone else can get hurt.

This is mental!! I have defective ladders so i need to get them fixed. Im not going to die.

If my brakes stop working on my car I will replace them. The responses I have received on here are ridiculous! There is absolutely no need to get rid of a good set of ladders which have years left in them just because a part of them has become degraded.

I bought these ladders from gumtree because I couldn't purchase them any where else on a Sunday. They have already paid for themselves for the last job I used them for.

I have spoken to a fabricator today who will make me some new hooks which can be riveted in to place good as new apparently so cheers...

I remember the days, when needing to replace a tile, you simply climbed a normal ladder, lassooed the chimney breast with a rope, tied it round your waist, then got yourself up there.

Now we've got all this old b*llocks about ridge ladders and rules. :D

Sponsored Links
Back