Laminated flooring!

Discussion in 'General DIY' started by Chantale, 26 Mar 2003.

1. Chantale

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have set myself a challenge to put down some laminated flooring in the spare bedroom! 8x11 mts, this week end, yes I know fool....that I am!

Would you be kind enough to advise with some dos and don'ts, some of you must have played this game before. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

2. MANDATE

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Try and visit a B&Q Warehouse before you start, They have a leaflet that seems to cover every aspect
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

3. masona

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If the laminated flooring is the glue type where you have to join it together,I found the best way is to glue it on the tongue on both side instead of the groove side which the manufacter recommend.I found its join better at the tongue side as there's no airlock this way.If you put the glue on the groove side I find it hard to push the air & glue out.

4. DAZB

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Get yourself a Laminate Floor Fixing Kit.They are about £8 and make the job much easier.It consists of a knocking block with grooves in and a flat bar bent in opposing directions at each end. This is to slot in at the perimeters and pull the boards together.Also don't forget to leave an expansion gap of 10-12mm all around.If you are using the Scotia or Quadrant trim then stick it to the skirting and not the floor because any movement of the floor may push it into the skirting and knock it off.Hope this helps you.

5. DAZB

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    By the way how big is your main bedroom if your spare is 8m X 11m ????

6. masona

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think he meant 8 miles x 11 miles !!