Lancasters fly over

Sponsored Links
They flew over Goodwood. I am annoyed I missed them. But I did see a Canberra and (I think) two Hunters whilst painting a window cill and yesterday saw 6 assorted Hurricanes and Spitfires. I am about 3 miles from Goodwood but always get a good view of air displays, the red arrows turn right over my house.

All of the aircraft mentioned in the above two posts are from the times when we still led the world in aeronautical engineering.

We can, at least, be proud of our past.

They were appearing at a number of shows today including Duxford, just south of Cambridge and also performed a fly over at East Kirkby in Lincolnshire where a third Lancaster, NX611, (Just Jane), is undergoing restoration.

The two flying Lancasters are PA474, (Thumper III), of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and the Canadian War Heritage Museum Lancaster 'Andrew Mynarski', call sign CGVRA, (Vera).

Vera was named after Andrew Mynarski, a Canadian Mid-Upper Gunner after he lost his life trying to save the rear gunner after their aircraft was hit from below by a German Nightfighter. The rear gunner survived to tell the story of Mynarski after he had died from his terrible burns which he suffered trying to rescue the gunner. For his bravery he was awarded the VC postumously.

Vera has been over here since early August touring around Britain with Thumper and is due to return to Canada on 23rd September. Towards the end of August she suffered an engine failure and was kindly loaned one from the BBMF in order to carry on with the tour. Her own engine is due to be re-fitted before she returns to Canada.

We were at Eastbourne in August when they both performed for the first time at the Eastbourne Airshow. Not very good images as they were taken with a camera phone but click the picture and you can see the whole album.

Sponsored Links
I always thought the last flying Lancaster in this country was "The City of Lincoln." (well it used to be some years ago) ;) ;)

Quite right Jock but this may explain things better for you.

Lancaster B I PA474 "City of Lincoln" operated by the Royal Air Force's Battle of Britain Memorial Flight since 1973.[15] The paint scheme is periodically changed to represent notable Lancasters, and the aircraft is currently flown as a 617 Squadron Lancaster B I, DV385, “Thumper Mk III”. This aircraft was one of the brand-new standard Lancasters issued to 617 Squadron as replacements after the ‘Dams Raid’ in 1943.

Don't know why I said Lake District, I've been to Derwent Water numerous times years ago.
Sorry folks, it should have said Derbyshire! :oops:

Here they are at Derwent Water yesterday.

Being from Derby myself I can tell you we celebrated 'Derby day' on Sunday, this fly over may have been linked to that I'm not sure but they flew over the derwent dam because that's where they practiced the bombing runs

Great pic Conny - It must have been a sight and sound to behold!

Unfortunately Doug I was not able to be there for this fly past so not my pic. Think its from Lincolnshire Radio.

It is a good one though.

Don't know why I said Lake District, I've been to Derwent Water numerous times years ago.

That's not derwent water, it looks like ullswater to me. (great picture though!)

That's not derwent water, it looks like ullswater to me. (great picture though!)

Ullswater dam? :confused:

Yes, Ullswater has a dam, Derwent water doesn't.

Gah, what a fool I am, looks like its Howden dam! I blame google! :oops:

Sponsored Links
Back