Landscape Gardener Help Please

S

shelaghb

Work started yesterday on my back garden - the usual - new patio etc. The garden area was lower than the patio area, but we have decided to bring it up to the same level. The actual grass area was all overgrown with brambles and nettles. When the job was discussed, I mentioned putting a membrane down to stop any remaining weeds from coming back through. I was told this could be done.

We were led to believe that all this top growth of weeds would be scraped off and disgarded and then tons of top soil brought in to bring the level up. However, what has happened is, the soil containing all the weeds has just been overturned. When I mentioned a membrane I was told that it wouldn't be necessary as 9"/1 foot of top soil would be enough to prevent these weeds from re-emerging.

I really need to know if this is correct before the job goes any further. If there is anyone around that could advise me I would be very grateful.

Sponsored Links
to be honest it largely depends what the weeds were and if they were dead or not. Spraying weeds with glyphosphate at this time of year is sometimes not very effective as they aren't actively growing much so dont take it in well. If the weeds were dead already rotovating them in is no problem.

Your landscaper is not lying in saying that most weeds will be killed off by a foot of new soil and if you hadn't mentioned the 'b' word i'd say it may be ok but very persistant weeds like brambles may simply emerge through your turf next year. Really its probably only brambles and marestail that will have a chance at making it through but not taking the time to all least dig out the brambles is a bad idea in my opinion and If the whole area wasn't even sprayed before hand it is not good practise.

Thanks for all your advice - The brambles were my main concern and that will be need to be addressed. Your input has enabled me to take the arguement forward and I thank you all for that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back