Laptop totally freezing in normal mode but fine in safe mode

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mum's faithful old D630 is playing up. If you allow it to boot in normal mode, it gets to the desktop then just freezes - nothing works and you end up having to actually power it off.

However, running it in safe mode, it works perfectly fine.

I ran a diagnostic on it and it came up with:

Error code 0142
Error code 2000-0142

Unit 1 Drive Self Test failed. Status byte = 79

The given error code and message can be used by Dell Technical Support to help diagnose the problem

From hunting about, it would appear that this error code is the hard drive failing? I don't understand though why it's OK in safe mode if the HDD is dying.

Sponsored Links
from what i understand,safe mode only loads the basic drivers etc,so you either have a conflict or as you say the h/d is failing.
i would suggest backing everything up in safe mode and then running a few diagnostic programs if you have any?in safe mode if that doesnt work,also scandisk it and maybe a defrag if still no joy then a clean instal might be the only way?and even then it still might fail.

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. Absolutely nothing has changed on her laptop - no new software or anything so it seems a bit bizarre. Just had a look on Dell's website and it's saying that the error code is indicating a drive failure and to update the BIOS and remove and replace the hard drive - I suppose that's worth a try as well.

I'm thinking Santa might have to bring her a new laptop but she doesn't think it's worth it as she only uses it for internet access

Sponsored Links
It's not starting in safe mode at all now - I'm beginning to think that it is the hard drive that's knackered - she's devastated! LOL

Test the HDD using "Seatools" - it will soon give you the answer :)

Back