large bolt with hole drilled through end of shank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
edit: sorry.. used wrong term in header..hole needed through end of the threaded part of the bolt (shank is the non-threaded bit next to the(hex) head isn't it?)

I want to secure double wooden shed doors in addition to the normal locks...especially if away for a holiday.

I want to put a slightly angled bolt (with a hole for a padlock in the end) from the inside of the shed ..so it goes through the "fixed/internally bolted" side of the door frame so that the second "outer" door which overlaps the fixed one when closed (with suitable sized hole drilled in it) can close over the bolt ..so both doors have the bolt going through them....than a good padlock through the hole drilled through the threaded end of the bolt . Bit hard to explain without drawing a diagram!

I'm sure I have seen these somewhere before but I have looked round the net for half an hour with no success. I have found bolts where the hex-head is pre-drilled (.e.g for a wire) but I want one where the threaded part of the bolt near the end is drilled to put a padlock through.

Anyone seen such a thing for sale?..otherwise I guess i'll have to find someone to drill a suitable bolt for me as I don't have a drill that could do that job.

thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
if you mean you want to put a hole big enough for a padlock through the bolt, you are going to need an absolutely enormous bolt.

Why not just use a heavy hasp?

If you have access to a propane torch then you could always forge the end flatter and wider to take a padlock . Then cut a corresponding plate for that end to fit through that is fitted to "outer door". It's a bit of a faff though and your bolt will only be mild steel unlike a hardened good quality heavy hasp as john suggests.
One other thought , if this is only for when you are going away on holiday rather than for everyday use just use a bolt and either rivet the end up or better still a blob of weld on the outside nut, just don't forget to leave your angle grinder in the house :D

Sponsored Links
thanks for your helpful suggestions both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back