Large concrete manhole covers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon,

I have viewed a property I am interested in buying which has very few problems with it, apart from two large concrete manhole covers in the back garden (this post is part building part garden related)-

Forgive my lack of knowledge but does any one have any suggestions for what they are used for? Also, if I decided to construct an extension or a conservatory in the future, is it possible to move these covers and the associated inspection pit? The photo below shows the manholes in relation to the rear of the house-

I understand the latter suggestion will be costly, but any advice from personal experience etc. would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Two chambers like like usually suggests two runs of drains. One will be for foul water, (toilets, sinks etc.), the other for rainwater.

May be possible to move them, but cost is likely to be rather expensive....

Lift the covers and have a look inside. If they are private (ie only serving your property) moving them will likely be easier and less hassle than if they are shared ie serve yours and someone else's property. My first thought is that there is a run of foul and a run of surface water drainage running through the back gardens of the houses ie they are both shared.

If they are shared and you intend building over them then Waterboard will need to be involved and the cost of diverting them would need to borne by you.

As said have a gander inside or chat to the owner and take a photo, not roughly how deep they are and . Then report back.

Note that there are many conservatory company's out there who (rightly or wrongly) won't give a fig about the drains (they (you) don't need to get Building Control involved in a conservatory build so the drainage often gets ignored and the homeowner is non the wiser.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back