Latch Locks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a question that I have been pondering on, on and off for a while.

If you were to say, go to B&Q and buy a 5 lever latch lock, you would find that the latch is at the top and the locking part at the bottom, however, if you look at the very old locks which are fitted into doors the latch is at the bottom and the locking part is on top.

Does anyone know why they were changed around?

Sponsored Links
Am afraid so, got a list of things to do in the house as along as my arm, but just can't seem to muster up the drive to do them, oh well.

Sponsored Links
take the door off and turn it the other way,hey presto all sorted :LOL:

no no no no no no, its not upside down, when Ive been in say, georgian, edwardian era houses they have the old black locks, which are about six inches in length, normally the doors have knobs as apposed to handles and the key hole is always above the handle or knob, the key hole is the right way around in the lock although it is above the hole where the axle slides through, so, no, its not upside down, i just wondered why they have changed.

Probably, because with the lock above, the handle may obstruct you turning the key.

I think he means a horizontal sash.

Keyhole backet about 2 inches. knob backset about 5 inches.

I might have a look at mine if i have nothing better to do tomorrow

Edited:
here we are
Still made like that (this is the chubb 5-detainer 3J60)
View media item 4131
View media item 4132

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back