launching IE 8

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had to re-install my operating software( Wndows XP ) & managed to sort everything apart from the fact that I cannot work out how to launch IE 8 as soon as BT Broadband connects as it used to do before the virus problem. Can anybody help as I used to know how to do it but the old grey cells aren't what they were. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi... can't directly answer your Q. right now but will try to help ...first can I ask 2 q's of my own....

1.) "As soon as Broadband connects"... isn't it on all the time for you?

2.) You got a virus..... I would STRONGLY suggest not using IE at all, ever!! Firefox is way, way safer. - Using Firefox (for example) + antivirus software + a firewall should really protect you.

- Apologies if this is teaching you to suck eggs!

Sponsored Links
Hi... can't directly answer your Q. right now but will try to help ...first can I ask 2 q's of my own....

1.) "As soon as Broadband connects"... isn't it on all the time for you?

2.) You got a virus..... I would STRONGLY suggest not using IE at all, ever!! Firefox is way, way safer. - Using Firefox (for example) + antivirus software + a firewall should really protect you.

- Apologies if this is teaching you to suck eggs!
1) No - I do not leave the pc switched on so when I need to use it I switch on & the router connects automatically, but I have to click on the bt broadband icon to connect to the internet, this used to automatically launch IE, but now I have to launch it from the drop down in the start list. 2) this is the first time in 10 years that I have had a serious problem with a virus so I am happy enough to continue using IE, probably getting too old & stuck in the mud to want to change :D

2.) You got a virus..... I would STRONGLY suggest not using IE at all, ever!!

Cool. I was not aware that Firefox protects the USB ports, CD drives and emails too.

Anyway, if the OP sets the connection to LAN in IE8, and then clicks on IE8 then its starts and connects. Or put IE8 into the startup folder

Well there you go, JJ, our warm, helpful friend Woody appears to have given you the answer!

I have no idea of the extent of your PC knowledge so, to clarify, his sarcasm is meant to imply that viruses can also be inserted from other places than directly from the Internet. However Firefox is widely accepted as being a better, safer browser than IE, which is why I use it.

Enjoy your newly resurrected PC!

Well there you go, JJ, our warm, helpful friend Woody appears to have given you the answer!

I have no idea of the extent of your PC knowledge so, to clarify, his sarcasm is meant to imply that viruses can also be inserted from other places than directly from the Internet. However Firefox is widely accepted as being a better, safer browser than IE, which is why I use it.

Enjoy your newly resurrected PC!
My PC knowledge is limited, so limited in fact that I am not SURE what woody is refering to. I do not want IE to launch as soon as windows opens, which I presume it will do if I add it to the start up list. I just want it to open when I connect to bt broadband. I have looked at the connection box in the tools drop down, but cannot find what he is refering to. I thought that there used to be a tick box in the advanced section that said "launch IE when connected" or words to that effect, but perhaps I am imagining it.

Thanks to all, sorted it now, typically dim of me, it is an option in the bt broadband tab. I could not for the life of me remeber how to do it. :( :confused:

Sponsored Links
Back