Lawn help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a very poor lawn that is full of moss and weeds about 5m x 12m. It is slightly sloped and has a sort of crazy paved path running down the side which also has weeds and is very uneven. I would ideally like to put down a new lawn and get rid of the path but need advice on the following.
1. Was planning to use roundup to kill off everything but how long do i leave it before point 2?
2. Can i just get a rotivator and turn over the whole site or do i need to take off the lawn?
3. What can i use to level the ground off and cover the area where the path was? (i intend to break up the path)
4. Any recommendations on turf to lay?

Thanks for any info.

Sponsored Links
Please don't use round-up. It is supposed to be "safe" but it kills more than just weeds.

I have a tatty lawn too, moss weeds etc. I gave it a dressing of lime, and have been cutting it to around 50mm high this year. It has made an amazing difference, and without much work. The taller grass will shade out the weeds, and the weeds will become less significant.

Filling the path area with soil and reseeding will level it, but having a path allows you to get to the other end of the lawn in winter. Without a path it easily turns to a muddy path.

Just break up the path with a sledgehammer and clear the rubbish.
Then hire a turf cutter and take off the top layer.
Hire a rotovator and rotovate the soil pulling out stones and weeds etc as you go. Rake it about where you want it. Screed with river sand and lay your turf.

Sponsored Links
I've just had a look at your picutre, wow! There's not much wrong with that, I might have the same view as you about the path though. Have a look at this. There's a section about easy ways to deal with lawns, which might get yours into shape with out too much initial work, and you can do more as time goes on, without a major outlay early on.

I have to say it really doesn't look like that now, please see photos below.

Do i need to lift the turf or can i just rotivate the whole lot at once? Have removed all the follage down both sides and am looking to put in a retaining wall at the top so need to flatten the top section by moving some down to the bottom section. Thinking of hiring mini digger thing to do this to make life a bit easier. Then sleeper beds on the left and right of the lawn.

Any advice greatly received.[/wiki]

Lift the turf - or else you'll have air pockets throughout that'll settle over time, unlevelling your new lawn.

Rotavate as you suggest then get some topsoil to level it all out. Leave it a couple of weeks to settle, then re-level, then lay the lawn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back