Lawnmower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a 80ft garden and I need to get a Lawnmower, Do I go for a electric or petrol one?

I have never mowed the lawn before

Sponsored Links
Well assuming it's only 9" wide, you could do it with just a hand mower.

Petrol please! Check out the Honda Izy range, don't buy from Argos because you wont get bits for them, Briggs engines good but put on some obscure makes, Go for an alloy deck if you can and avoid ones with loads of plastic bits on the handles (John Deere). Cheers John

Sponsored Links
I think it was about 6 years ago that Mountfield ceased being an independent manufacturer. These days, their mowers are cheap imports that use the mountfield badge to justify the price.

It is true Mountfield mowers are made up from a chassis that comes from castelfranco factory in Italy,they make cheap chassis' for lots of cheap lawnmowers and most of their engines are cheap chinese imports.
The Honda Izzy has a good engine but the chassis also comes from the factories in Italy.
I repair lawnmowers for a living and the only good thing about Mountfield lawnmowers now is that they keep me busy repairing them.
Try to spend a bit more money and buy yourself a Hayter it will last for years if you look after it.I have Hayter mowers coming into my workshop for service that are over 20 years old,and all the parts are still available.
Your only decision then is if you want a striped lawn or not, 4 wheel mowers are always cheaper than the roller option.
Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

It is true Mountfield mowers are made up from a chassis that comes from castelfranco factory in Italy,they make cheap chassis' for lots of cheap lawnmowers and most of their engines are cheap chinese imports.
The Honda Izzy has a good engine but the chassis also comes from the factories in Italy.
I repair lawnmowers for a living and the only good thing about Mountfield lawnmowers now is that they keep me busy repairing them.
Try to spend a bit more money and buy yourself a Hayter it will last for years if you look after it.I have Hayter mowers coming into my workshop for service that are over 20 years old,and all the parts are still available.
Your only decision then is if you want a striped lawn or not, 4 wheel mowers are always cheaper than the roller option.

I have to agree with the Hayter recommendation. My old fella had one for years and paid £550 for it brand new. When he passed away I ebayed it and got £350 for it! So people obviously recognise quality. Makes you wonder what I would have got for a 6 yr old flymo :LOL:

i've got a ryobi mower, not sure wether i'll be screwed on parts in the future but it's got a steel/alloy deck and seems just as good as the honda mower my neighbours got. very solid, self propelled, starts easily and does a good job. depends how much you want to spend on a mower. i wanted sub £200 as my lawn isn't big enough to justify it so didn't look at the top of the range ones.

You don't happen to have a clutch cable for a Hayter Condor do you?

Ah , goodmow,all these consumerism enthusiasts thinking they're getting a bargain buying a mountfield,i'm not surprised you're doing good business ! *LOL* .
Well, being a miser , I decided to buy one cheap off a mate for fifty quid,had it two years,never bothered to clean it or owt ,just filled it up with petrol,(and that cost me about a tenner last year ),but now it's knackered.
The symptoms are this :

It used to run smooth as a nut but now it's juddering about and revving up and down and cutting out.

I've been sold a pup !
I've taken it to be fixed and the bloke said an hundred quid !
There was one for sale, (looked brand spanking new),for 168 quid.

Now the plot thickens...apparently if you're a normal bloke (like one who can fix things ), and not an idiotic hysterical consumer,i.e.someone who'll wait months and months,but mostly years, (letting the grass grow under their feet),before finally getting about the fixings,you can get the carburettor part for about a tenner and fix it yerself .

but what if you can't diy it ?

I think the answer is to buy a decent mower in the first place .
In other words , a honda or a hayter petrol.
you can run them into the ground for a decade before they really need a service !

As I know to my cost, you pays yer moneys ,you takes your choice.
good job it's not my dosh being spent fixin it,
I could be really miserly and wait a good year or two (and wiv a lot o' mither) for me mate to do it,cos he's a procrastinator and a miser ,(really bad dose of it he's got),he can fix most things ,but rarely gets round to it,so i might of snuffed it by then .

eh up, lawn needs cutting again LOL.
don't be daft.

buy a decent petrol mower ,400 quid plus, look after it and it'll last 40 years.
Electric mowers are cheap toys,and get skipped by the thousand.

80 foot garden ? you'll have a laugh trying to cut that with a leccy mower.

ta ra
time fer a brew :)

i got an 18inch cut petrol rotary champion mower new for around £140 and it gets used a lot and its 7yr old now.
i service it every spring and its been superb for my 100sq meter lawn.

i use it for leaf clearing in autumn too as its great for that.

as said avoid the lots of plastic parts one's!!

hayter are a lot of money for a small garden but an excellent choice for commercial use :D

i've got a ryobi mower............. and seems just as good as the honda mower.

Yeah righto'.

A bit like the advert....."listen, sounds just like a Golf". :LOL:

Honda engines are pretty good in my opinion as i come across them in various shapes and forms.

pretty good! they are exceptionally good. I have an old mixer up my yard that has been standing idle for 5 years we started it on teh second pull last year, after it had been stood out all that time. Cant beat them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back