Laying 20mm solid wood flooring onto chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am thinking on laying solid wood floor onto the floor of my new extension which the builder appears to have constructed out of wide TinG chipboard boards.

I wondered what is the best way to fix the solid wood planks to this sub-floor, I wasn't sure if secret nailing would be possible. I was thinking of gluing if necessary but thought this might be tricky if using an underlay.

Any thought gratefully received.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Right. As its your first post ( welcome ) im not going to put to much detail on here yet. So, Dial 'wood you like' into google. Have a look through there website and READ the info they offer. Any other info you want or dont understand then give me or woody a shout on this forum. Enjoy reading

Cheers guys, I'll have a look at this & see if I'm sorted, after I posted the query I realised there were some similar threads.

Cheers
:)

Sponsored Links
Guys

Thanks for the really useful info.

I will be laying the planks onto 2 types of subfloor, the chipboard in the extension & existing floor boards. I guess then that I get hardboard sheets & then cover the sheets with a foam or rubber underlay to give me one type of subfloor

When it comes to fixing the planks what should I do then ?, the planks are 120mm wide & so I was worried that this was right on the threshold of floating the floor. Might I be better nailing where I can onto the existing floorboards & gluing down the rest to the subfloor ?, but then I was wondering how do you glue a plank to the foam or rubber underlay ?

Cheers in advance

:)

Hi Hambone

You have 'one type' of underfloor already: sheet - wood material. You only need to ply one of them is there is a significant difference in height or if the existing floorboards are not level (or if the direction of the new boards go the same way as your existing floorboards).

Solid 120mm we would install floating on foam underlayment in the width of the area is less than 5 meter.

(And you never glue - fully bond - wood to normal foam underlayment - only when you buy the self-adhesive underlayment stuff (good product - Elastilon - but expensive)

Hi

Thanks for this.

I got an extension put on the back of my house, & so my new kitchen & family room has 50% original floorboards & 50% this chipboard floor. The floor is level throughout but the chipboard does run in the same direction as the original floor, sorry if I'm blathering !.

We want to run the wood floor from the front door, right down the hall & into the new kitchen & family room, would you nail into the original floor where it exists & then float it on top of the chipboard or is that a receipe for disaster ?.

In no area would the width be >er than 3/4 Metre, just as a query, what actaully stops the floor going sideways, is it the weight ?.

Cheers so far, this is really useful

Hi Hambone

If your existing floorboards don't run in the same direction as you want your new floorboards going and the existing boards are level enough you can safely install floating on 3 - 4mm foam underlayment.
Ignore the direction of the chipboard ;) has no effect on draft or movement of the new boards.
The weight of the boards and furniture on top of it will keep it in place, it's not going to go on a 'walkabout'

We do recommend to install room by room and using thresholds between doorways. (See also our comment on this post)

thanks mate

you bowled my a googly when you mentioned the direction of the orig floorboards & chipboard.

my orig floor & chipboards run the width of the house & as you've guessed I'm running the planks down the length of the house.

I don't think I'm going to pull the skirting off, do you think thats a mistake , I'll get looking for the foam underlay & adhesive.

Cheers

:LOL:

I don't think I'm going to pull the skirting off, do you think thats a mistake
No, think it's a good idea (cause you never know how they are attached and removing them could damage wall, plasterwork etc.)

Leave an expansion gap all around and cover this gap with flat beading (our preferred method for this: handy, easy plus a neat finish - like a 'picture frame')

That leaves you two whole weeks - should be easy ;)

(BTW, I'm a 'boss' too, mate - if you catch my drift ;))

not a lads only comment, do acknowledge this reality in public also, we'd have never got the extension done if left to me.

Cheers :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back