Laying a patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am new to this site and this is my first question.

I am about to lay a patio and would like to know how much hard core, sand and cement I need to order.

The area is 6m x 5m = 30m2.

Its in my back garden with light traffic usage.

Is there a formula or ratio I can utilise?

Rgds

Mick

Sponsored Links
Hi Zebadee17,

If you are doing a DIY patio, there is a great site I Used

www pavingexpert dot com
(sorry new as well so not sure I can post links for some reason...)

he's been going for years, I laid my patio using this info and a video I found by Marley Paving... whoever they are.... about 2 years ago now and it is still solid today. Try www,pavingexpert,com/patio01,htm#size (replace the commas with .) and look towards the bottom. I will try and dig out the video and get back to you with what it is called or a link to it.

Hope this helps

Bob

Sponsored Links
What is the ratio for laying paving slabs onto compacted hardcore?
(sand, cement, sharpe sand etc)
Rgds
Mick

This should give you a good indication for the subase...

http://www,pavingexpert,com/faq_subbase,htm#depth (replace , with .)

I think I used 100mm Subase (where a concrete base didnt already exist) & 50mm sand, whacked a few times (6 or 7 times) with a couple of bags of very fine sand to fill the joints once laid... I just followed the video (I'll dig it out soon)... worked a treat!

Bob

Hi Mick,

Found the video, but I didn't download it, I bought it on DVD from ebay (its a copy). It's by a guy called Howard Drury and was recorded in 1995 (originally on tape I think).

I think you can still get on ebay... it cost me a quid plus postage. Ive tried to find it on google to download without any luck (not tried any peer to peer though). Obviously I can't email you it because its about 4Gb.

Worth it if you can find it... deals with all the drainage, cambers for the water etc as this guy lays his new drive from the start.

Hope this helps, Good Luck

Bob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back