laying bricks over a lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps.
I have just put my Catnic CG 90/100 x 3.3Mtr lintel over my window opening and want to carry on building up with brick outer and block inner.
(its only a single storey extension so only need 3 rows of bricks amd 1 of block).....question is ....do i lay the first row of brick/block directly on the metal lintel or should i lay them on a mortar bed on the lintel.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Use a mortar bed. Mortar is essentially for taking up the irregularities in the bricks. (Please no other posts about it being used to stick bricks togther :evil:)

You may find that a full bed is too much. Normally you lay a very tight bed, or taper the bed so that there is none/little at the back and a bit of a bed at the front.

Don't forget to prop the lintel to stop the brickwork bowing out, and don't bang the bricks down

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back