Laying carpet tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Laying carpet tiles on a plywood floor. Do I need to prime the floor before sticking the tiles down? If yes, can I use diluted PVA or could I use thinned yacht varnish to protect against any possible water getting through?

For adhesive I'm thinking of ordinary carpet spray or even double sided tape. Nothing too permanent as I would like to be able to replace if they get very dirty or damaged.

Richard

Sponsored Links
I have laid them on hardboard (smooth side up) and they have been fine with the d/s tape, but a coat of varnish might be a good idea for bare ply.
Whatever you do don't do what the B******S did who owned the house before me and cover the floor in Evo-Stik, taking up tiles involves ripping chunks out of the floorboards!
They must have been high for a week after laying them!

Carpet tiles, only require a few to be stuck. They hold each other. The beauty of them is you can move them around & even the wear.

Sponsored Links
Hi foxhole, I only mean to protect the ply underfloor from water getting into it. The floor is in a workshop so from time to time wet things can be taken in plus wet feet.

Will tackifier hold the tile if and when I move a heavy piece of machinery on castors across it?

Richard

Provided it's not dragged, it's the typical way to fit office carpet where furniture is moved over it without problem.Castors will cut into carpet if they are small and the load is very heavy.For that we always used furniture skids [ours provided free by furniture suppliers.]Teflon coated discs about 100mm in diameter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back