laying chipboard on garage floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can't find a thread that answers this.
I am converting my garage into a workshop.
The inside will be tanked (floor&walls). I intend laying T&G chipboard flooring over celotex on the sealed floor, for warmth and cost (yes walls & ceiling will be insulated too)
Heaviest thing on the floor will be a table saw and/or me (both moveable), one side will be benched and cupboards (framed to floor not to the chipboard)
Just one question: T&G ch/b - can I float or do I need to fix it down somehow?
Tip request: any advice on getting a floor socket placed somewhere towards the middle?
Many thanks as ever

Sponsored Links
Depending on the thickness of the floor, I'd lay on 400/600mm spaced joists for the centre power socket, either extend the ring to a loop in the floor and leave for second fix or run a new radial from the consumer unit.

I have wall sockets around the workshop, and I get fed up with cables on the floor. They're a hazard.
When I eventually get round to it I'll consider ceiling mounted sockets and some sort of method to take up any slack in the cable, even if it's just bungee chords.

Sponsored Links
Himaginn .... hmm hadn't thought about that. It's going to be a lot easier than a floor socket(s). Great idea - I'm warming to it
Thanks

I'm guessing you have long arms? you may also have to install fire hoods if there is a room above as you'll be weakening the fire integrity of the ceiling.

it might be simpler to have a multi socket extension lead on a bungee ?

I really only need a single socket "hanging" for the table saw and occasional hand held power tool. Space above is garage apex with strong joists - no problem there.

Any ideas on the flooring method proposed? (which will be much simpler without the floor socket!!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back