Laying patio in front of concrete slab pointers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a wooden cabin sitting on a concrete slab which has an area in front of it that I would like to put concrete 18" x 18" slabs down on.

I want to butt the slabs up against the concrete slab to make a small patio level with the slab (but sloping away from it to allow water run off). A friend had a 1 ton bag of sharp sand which he over ordered, which I now have ready to put under the slabs. I already have about 6" hardcore to lay the sand on top of as a firm base.

Surrounding the slabs I was intending on putting some Terram type fabric down and then cover that with gravel.

I do have a few questions:

1. Should I compact the sharp sand with a whacker plate before laying the slabs on top?

2. Should I add cement to the sand? 6 parts sand to 1 part cement from what I read but not sure if this is necessary?

3. I am concerned that the sand may push out over time from under the slabs into the gravel making the slabs uneven. Should I put some retaining edge stones in to stop this happening?

I have some 24" long x 6" high concrete edging stones I could use for this.

4. If I do use these edging stones do they need to be set in a small amount of concrete to hold them in place?

I know in the past when I have asked questions here on these type of projects I have a tendency to over engineer things :oops:. I'd appreciate anyone's advice on this or suggestions on alternatives.

I've attached a diagram to make things clearer.

Thanks
Martin

View media item 22118

Sponsored Links
lay them on a wet mortar bed. use the sharp sand in a wet 1:6 mix. that way they wont go anywhere

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back