Laying Real wood flooring onto a concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am pretty sure this question has been asked and asked but i am going to be rude and as my first post ask again... lol

I have a new build apartment on the second floor and it has a concrete floor. I am wanting to get real wood floor fitted (professionaly as im a crap DIYer). I want to be certain i make the correct decisions when having it installed. So here are my questions

1. Can i float it or must it be glued? (i read on a few sites it should be glued) I have been quoted a fitting price of £10 sq/m float and £20 sq/m glued

2. Do i need to put anything between the floor and the concrete? The flat is always warm. The concrete is about 6 months old and should be level-ish!

Thanks in advance
David.

Sponsored Links
Think i have got my answers

Should really be glued with adhesive that is rubbery and acts as an underlay. It can also be cut into the skirting (not sure about that)! as it wont move hmmm

i would glue the floor myself unless it has a lock system. Woody likes to float floors, which is fine but alot of uk suppliers wont guarantee a floating system. And you still need to leave expansion gap.

Thanks, you have just confirmed what i thought. Glue it is.

The wood is the £25 sq/m from topps tiles with a tongue and groove system.

Sponsored Links
Specially in apartment buildings (second floor you're on, not?) you have to keep in line with sound-regulations.
In these cases we always advice to install thicker underlayment and install floating - less noise for downstairs neighbours.
Also, make sure your floor doesn't connect with any pipe-work etc (sound travels through that too).

I am on 2nd floor.

Just as i thought i knew what i was going to do...

If i still want to glue what is the best stuff to get? I think i have seen some stuff to says it helps reduce noise and that!

Thanks

Try to find out how much it guarantees to reduce noise of footfall.
And with glueing, also make sure your wood doesn't connect with pipes etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back