Laying solid oak floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need some help laying a solid oak floor

I want to make it as strong as possible so was going to glue it down but also wanted to use some sort of nails but not sure if it's possible as it's going to be in living room downstairs so it's a concrete floor?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi

Providing you use a good quality adhesive, gluing alone is fine. I've used Timberline MS Plus, but there are other brands that are good.
What's vital is to ensure that the concrete substrate is completely dry and free from damp, otherwise you'll need to seal it with some sort of epoxy sealer. The concrete should also be pretty flat or laying the floor will be problematic.

Steve

Do I need underlay? as the concrete seems to be quite dusty no matter how many times i sweep it

Sponsored Links
What would be the best underlay to use on a concrete floor for solid wood?

would it be best to glue the underlay down to the concrete then glue the boards down to the underlay?

Hi
I think you have two choices:
1. Use an adhesive underlay, such as Envoy-MULTI. This has adhesive on the top surface to glue the boards.
2. Something like Taylor Nu-Flor Concrete Barrier (an epoxy primer) and then glue with Taylor Timberline MS Plus.
Have a look at this Youtube video for both examples of laying a floor onto concrete:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qChZH-p0AA
No doubt others will be along with alternative recommendations.
Steve

If i was to put underlay on top of the concrete then glue the boards down to it would it stay solidly down? as I don't want it to be bouncing when you stand on it

Better not gluing them down at all. You should be making a floating floor to allow for expansion and contraction. You don't nail your furniture down so why nail the floor down? Are you on the international space station or something?

Solid wood floorboards are more liable to cupping, slight cupping can be restrained by fixings.

Stick to trolling the GD forum joe-90.

I needed to create a floor on top of old unsafe and uneven oak boards ( listed building and conservation officer who wants all the originals kept.

I created a level base 12mm marine ply wood and on top of this I laid 12 mm American Oak planks which are 13 inch wide and run the full width of the room. These are held down to the plywood by screws at the ends of the planks. A couple of coats of Danish Oil gives a very good finish and it is water resistant. Other than a pair of planks lifting a little it is still OK after two years and now all the under floor services are installed and proven the oak will be glued down in a few places where it is lifting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back