Laying Soundproofing Matting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're soundproofing a room and have purchased sbm5 matting:-

http://www.soundservice.co.uk/soundproofing_mat_SBM5.html

to go on top of the asbestolux boards we've put down on the floor.

What is best product to:-

(a) Cut the matting to the desired shape(s)
(b) Glue/stick the matting to the floor

Also, any tips on what to do when cutting i.e. does the product stretch slightly so should be cut slightly smaller than the required dimensions?

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty sure Green Glue is supposed to be used to stick the plasterboard directy to another layer of plasterboard (or directly to the wall) in the same way SBM5 is supposed to sit between two layers.
I'm not sure using green glue directly on Sbm would give any additional benefits.

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty sure Green Glue is supposed to be used to stick the plasterboard directy to another layer of plasterboard (or directly to the wall) in the same way SBM5 is supposed to sit between two layers.
I'm not sure using green glue directly on Sbm would give any additional benefits.

Thanks.

What does it mean on the Sta-Stuck instructions:-

"Spray one surface horizontally, and the other vertically ... Allow adhesive to tack (usually up to 4 minutes) and bond together with a firm pressure over the entire area."

Does this mean that once both surfaces are sprayed with the adhesive, they are left exposed for 4 minutes, and only at that point should I actually lay the matting onto the floor and then apply firm pressure?

Or does this mean that once both surfaces are sprayed with the adhesive, I lay the matting onto the floor (gently), wait 4 minutes, and then apply firm pressure?

What does it mean on the Sta-Stuck instructions:-

"Spray one surface horizontally, and the other vertically ... Allow adhesive to tack (usually up to 4 minutes) and bond together with a firm pressure over the entire area."

Does this mean that once both surfaces are sprayed with the adhesive, they are left exposed for 4 minutes, and only at that point should I actually lay the matting onto the floor and then apply firm pressure?

Well I've never used Sta-Stuck before but from past experiences with glues/tackifiers when carpeting, it'd be the first one.
You put the glue on, wait for it to dry a bit, then stick it together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back