Lead based paint - what's the safest way of getting rid?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently purchased a house, that I have yet to move into. The surveyor said that the plaster on the walls is in a very poor condition, and that the paint is likely to be lead based.

I'm new to the DIY business, but do understand that lead based paint poses serious health issues.

Could someone recommend the best way forward for removing plaster and paint?

Is this one job (i.e. you can remove the paint and the plaster together) or two?

Furthermore, is a specially qualified workman needed to do this job?

And finally how should the paint be packaged up and discarded?

Many thanks in advance for anyone who responds.

Sponsored Links
What exactly did the surveyor say? They tend to be pessimists, so I'd try to confirm what the paint really is before worrying too much. My understanding is that lead was used mainly in gloss paints, so not often on walls, but I could be wrong. Test kits are available.

Note that lead is a cumulative poison, unlike e.g. asbestos, so in a DIY context you don't really need to worry as much as a pro who could be exposed every day for years. The main thing is to not sand it off, making dust.

What exactly did the surveyor say? They tend to be pessimists, so I'd try to confirm what the paint really is before worrying too much. My understanding is that lead was used mainly in gloss paints, so not often on walls, but I could be wrong. Test kits are available.

Note that lead is a cumulative poison, unlike e.g. asbestos, so in a DIY context you don't really need to worry as much as a pro who could be exposed every day for years. The main thing is to not sand it off, making dust.

Thanks for your thoughts, any idea where you get these test kits from, prices, brands etc?

Can a simpleton like me use one?

Sponsored Links
I used an internet company called leadtest.co.uk - which seemed ok. I have no reason to doubt their findings, but I also have no way of verifying the results.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back