Lead bay to replace with lead or pondliner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a five section bow window with leaded roof.

Water is getting between the lead and the wooden boards, as the lead is not damaged it is assumed to be getting in as a result of damaged felt allowing the water to bypass gutter (which means when the fascia and soffits were replaced years ago they didn't do the job properly)

Been quoted a reasonable price by a roofing company to repair and replace with pond liner, must admit to being a little disappointed as I would prefer lead, they are NFRC and been around a long time are well thought of but say they are replacing most of these bays now with pond liner as lead is expensive, quote just over £400 for the rubber, new boards etc. seen one done in rubber by Virgo it looks awful took only one day and cost £1,350.00.

Second guy a general builder said he would walk away rather than replace with anything but lead waiting for his quote, this guy also recommended cutting out rotten wood on corner of fascia and cladding as I am replacing flat roof with a warm roof, and I know the wooden fascia's are sound apart from the corners.

Any thoughts.

Sponsored Links
On a five section bay, any damage to fascia mitres will require replacing the fascia(s). With the fascia off, you might possibly reveal further rot.

Lead look-a-like materials will do the trick, but they will never pass for lead.
Neither will they be stolen.

Within the next 10 years the EU is banning all exterior sheet lead applications, with a few exceptions, because of particle run off. But it wont, obviously, be retro.

Well well well, banning all sheet lead applications.

Not sure what you mean by fascia mitres the bay protrudes beyond the fascia which is straight across and is upva so are the windows.

Thanks

If you have more than one fascia on your bay, then where it meets any other fascia is a mitre joint.
Rather than attempt to repair a short length of fascia, its best practice to replace the short lengths of fascia.

If you have some other construction detail then please post pics.

Are you referring to uPVC windows?

Sponsored Links
Yes they are upvc windows, it is an exposed bow window, semi detached with hip roof. The windows finish directly under the roofline. The fascia starts at the corner of my neighbours house and goes straight across the back of the two windows to the opposite corner on mine with a straight joint on the boundary. The lead sheet is flat with an up stand between gutter and fascia.

What seems odd is why the roofer insists on replacing with rubber and hasn't returned my call when I asked for the quote to include replacement lead. He said in the first instance that the lead was fine and wasn't causing the leak, and he is charging me for carting off good lead.

Spoke to a Trustmark NFRC roofer who said it should be possible to remove the lead on a flat bow, replace boards stop the leak and replace lead, he is coming to have look on Thursday.

I understand it is not pleasant and can be a hazard removing lead sheeting but he has to deal with that if he puts rubber on.

Not competent to upload picks on here unfortunately could learn but roof will probably be replaced by then!

Thanks

So, the fascia in question is on the main house, and water, because of missing or degraded felt, is going behind the main house gutter, and down behind the lead upstand of the bay roof?

Quite how the above works, if you have a soffitt to the main roof, is hard to visualise, ie the fascia projects beyond the upstand. If water is entering the soffit then you have another difficulty to deal with.

Anyhow, its a simple matter to remove, the lead sheeting sections from the bay roof.
Examine it, and the roof structure, for damage, and then replace it.

You must be certain how water damage is occurring to the main house fascia, and the lower bay roof, before attempting repairs.

Thanks dann09

Builder #2 came today very puctual, spent a good 30 mins inspecting the bay.

Nothing wrong with lead or boards in fact there is no leak above the bay, the reason for the small damp patch in the centre of the bay that is showing indoors is simply because the silicone seal they used when the windows were installed quite some time ago now, has failed, resealing properly will solve the problem.

He said the gutter above is blocked he will clean that out and redo the join, the water that drips on the window sill keeping me awake when the rain is heavy will be solved by redressing the lead on that side to divert the water properly.

He has thoroughly checked the extension flat roof and declared it good for probably 10 more years (it has been on for approx18) but as I would like the flat roof insulated and the fascia(s) replaced with upvc because the mitres on the corners have gone he will work out a quote and then it is for me to decide whether to wait until the roof fails or do it now. In all he was here for almost an hour inspecting both roofs. He took lots of notes and explained everything he would be quoting for.

Don't have the quote yet he is putting it in the post.

Roofer #1 would have replaced my perfectly good lead with rubber, probably left on the old boards because there is nothing wrong with them but charged because he quoted for them, and the problem a would not have been fixed, and he is HMRC Trustmark registered.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back