lead flashing at abutment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am trying to replace the flashband at the abutment of a conservatory and house with lead sheet. I am going to use step flashing but have two small questions:

-- there is a ridge at the centre so how do I go about flashing that? I have seen the saddle in the top left corner of this picture but is there a simpler alternative?

-- do I have to use soakers or can I use a wide strip of lead that covers both roofs?

-- if I can do the above, does it need to be held down with strips or is it enough to boss the lead over the top of the conservatory roof?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
No easy alternative for the saddle and forming the saddle ain't easy.
Don't need soakers.
Just dress the lead onto the conservatory roof.

it`s all easy if you`ve got the lead welding kit :idea: but as this is a DIY forum --- you could try making the shapes with as much overlap as possible and sealing with lead sheet sealer. like a sandwich. It`s just an idea I`ve never tried because I have the kit and can do leadwork. But I`m impressed with the power of modern silicones. Maybe wire brush the overlap to bright metal and stick it together.

Hi. When bossing the ridge abutment, rather than trying to stretch the lead like a seesaw (both sides going down) bend the upstand. Fold it back over the cover, bend it down either side of the ridge and then try and tease it back as an upstand with bossing tools. If you are not famiular with step flashing? I have a video that demonstrates one of the method, it can be found on http://justlead.co.uk/news/Page-2.html Good Luck

Sponsored Links
it`s all easy if you`ve got the lead welding kit :idea: but as this is a DIY forum --- you could try making the shapes with as much overlap as possible and sealing with lead sheet sealer. like a sandwich. It`s just an idea I`ve never tried because I have the kit and can do leadwork. But I`m impressed with the power of modern silicones. Maybe wire brush the overlap to bright metal and stick it together.

If the OP was as good as you with his gusset's he wouldnt have asked here ;)

Many thanks for the responses, especially the video as I was planning to refer to that later!

Is the lead sealant option likely to work, and am I still ok to use the same dimensions as in the picture in my previous post? How big should I try to make the overlap?

I do have access to an arc welder - is this suitable for lead or would I have to use gas?

Thanks once again

Hi. Arc is no good for lead. And even with gas, unless you have prior experience it takes time to master. I have seen lead sealant used to joint lead, however in most case called in to carry out replacement using welding/bossing methods. If bossing, mock up a template of situation and boss it on a bench before fitting as it less stress on the glass panels. Good Luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back