Lead pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have lead pipes in my new house, in the cellar, but that's not really a problem for the time being. Then also from the stop tap in the kitchen to wherever it goes outside underground. Had a plumber round for numerous jobs so I also said that I wanted this replacing. He said it's not really worth it for the amount that is there and the expense of doing this, and that the risks from the pipe are so low in any case. What do others think? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Ideally lead should be replaced, if nothing else, it's usually pretty old and can become unreliable. If you're at all worried tho contact your local EHO at the local council offices, they may be in a position to come and test it.

Ideally lead should be replaced, if nothing else, it's usually pretty old and can become unreliable. If you're at all worried tho contact your local EHO at the local council offices, they may be in a position to come and test it.

What will they "test"?

Sponsored Links
What will they "test"?

They can test the water for dissolved solids and heavy metal content if there's concern over lead pipes. We had it done when there was concern over the lead rising mains in our tenement. There was a metallic taste and pinky colour left once the water evaporated. The EHO left 2 bottles with every flat and asked for samples at 2 different times a day and took it away for testing.

I believe that the water company can be asked to do this but they are only responsible for the pipe up to a certain point into the property.

Obviously different councils will have different processes but the criteria should be the same.

If in a hard water area, the risks are practically nothing. Soft water area may be different.

If concerned about lead in the water, draw off a moderate amount before drinking it, to avoid using the water that has been sitting in the lead pipe for any length of time.

definitely checking with your local building control as some areas have grants to have it replaced

Some water suppliers also can help.

But varies widely.

In London they seem to put phosphates into the water to line the lead pipes now instead of helping renew pipes into homes.

They used to replace any lead in the streets if the home owner replaced all lead on the house.

Tony

Plenty of lead pipes still kicking about, not killing anyone!
It would take a lot to kill you quickly.

But lead damages the brain and nervous system, which is especially damaging in growing children. I also knew a builder and plumber who had early onset dementia, diagnosed as due to working with lead since his teens.

Thank gods we have got rid of the worst source of lead in the environment, which was leaded petrol, and there is a detectable improvement in brain function in people born in the last 20 years or so, and a measurable reduction in violent crime as the children with undamaged brains become young adults, especially those who grew up close to busy city streets.

You may think I am joking as it sounds so improbable, but no. It is as clear as lung cancer and cigarettes.

You must be right.

It is at least six years since I went to a client who had murdered his wife!

some areas still have financial assistance for the replacement of lead pipes , contact your local building control and ask if any are available

Up to your boundary, I believe that most water suppliers will replace free of charge. past the boundary into your house then get in touch with your council Classy, they will tell you if they have a grant available to help with the costs of replacement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back