Lead piping to copper piping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some old Lead piping in my house and don\\\'t want to rip it all out. I need to extend and existing lead pipe to a copper pipe. Does anyone know how I should do this, i.e. what joining materials I should use. Thanks in advance ..

Sponsored Links
Go to a plumbing merchants and ask for a leadlock, Its a special compression fitting to join lead to copper but you will need to know the size of the lead pipe. This is sometimes hard to tell until you cut the pipe so buy a couple of different size leadlocks if your not certain You can always take back what you don't use and get a refund.

oldskool_plumbski said:
or if your'e a real plumber like me" taft it. I know I know its illegal boys.
Nah.do a proper wiped joint and cover it with brown paper tied with string ;) I`ll lend you my Smudge, Oldi.and shavehook

Sponsored Links
I10-82-mole.jpg
;)

might need one of these as well

:LOL: or even 4 of them ;) and Tallow. and turnpin, and pipeclamp, kerosene blowlamp. stick of code D solder. rasp. canvas bag, bike.bowler hat. apron. Tie. FFS givus the address, I`ll do it meself:cool:

I have a few questions.

What is an "oldi" ?
Why the picture of a Platypus ?
(I'm not suprised it's illegal)

Why are you answering a post from 2005 ?

I know its an old post but couldn't resist.
We used to be advised by water board (only 20 years ago, when lead was known to be bad) that to perform water repairs we had to go from lead to brass to copper, wiping the lead to brass joint & then capillary copper. so as not to cause corrosion.

Leadlocks were introduced so as to prevent adding lead to the system, by the previous use ( wiping a lead joint) any replacement pipework could not contain lead.

Gas regs seem to differ. They don't seem to pick up that repairs to lead gas pipes really should not go directly to copper, Even when teeing off

ox·i·da·tion (ks-dshn)
n.
1. The combination of a substance with oxygen.
2. A reaction in which the atoms in an element lose electrons and the valence of the element is correspondingly increased.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
should never connect lead directly to copper.

Thanks for that ItsOverFlo v. interesting. I have seen wiped lead joins being done but have never tried it myself. I may ask someone to show me, it's not so useful these days, but it seems a pity to see a skill ( or is it an art) lost.

Kevplumb, was only kidding about the mole, job cancelled at last minute and time to kill ( insert ashamed smiley).

Now what exactly is it that you do you do to this poor animal ?

Crystal said:
Thanks for that ItsOverFlo v. interesting. I have seen wiped lead joins being done but have never tried it myself. I may ask someone to show me, it's not so useful these days, but it seems a pity to see a skill ( or is it an art) lost.

Kevplumb, was only kidding about the mole, job cancelled at last minute and time to kill ( insert ashamed smiley).

Now what exactly is it that you do you do to this poor animal ?
:LOL: It`s not real mole skin it`s Fuscian?.a heavy woven cloth..it`s an art, believe me.Oldski is an abbreviation for old skool plumberski

Yes I did it.....whacking some tiles of a wall (terrible job of tiling done by the previous house owners I may add which meant I had to use a chisel), and I have pierced a hole in the gas pipe.

Now my problem......lead pipes

Some of the people I have spoken to so far are all kindly offering to rip out my entire pipe work because it is 'illegal' to repair it, and charge me various amounts of money.

Obvioulsy I expect to pay someone to do something, but is there a way to LEGALLY fix a dented lead pipe (about 4 inches long) without ripping up floor boards, and replacing almost everything. Oh I have a back boiler too, which is apparently a potential problem too. One kind chap also mentioned that if it is really bad my radiators and full monty may have to be replaced.

I would be VERY greatful for some sound advice, oh and PLEASE don't call me a pillock for piercing the pipe.....the Mrs has constantly reminded me.

Cheers.

I'll be honest kevplumb I wasn't even convinced anyone would read this let alone reply so fast.

Thanks for the input, can I bother you for a bit more advice mate?

How?

I'm not an aggresive guy but it would be nice to mention to the next guy thats offers to charge me enough for a round the world QE2 cruise, how he could do it.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back