Leaf guard ideas for perimeter ditch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View media item 88825View media item 88823
Hi I've removed block paving at the front of the house to lower the ground level in order to stop damp penetration and to expose existing air bricks (1st pic). I have installed an additional air brick under the slab leading to the doorstep (2nd pic).

I was planning to put a shallow layer of gravel at the bottom of the ditch and leave it at that. However the ditch is great at collecting leaves (and litter) throughout the autumn and winter, which I'd like to prevent, perhaps with a cover.

Any ideas for a leaf cover or similar to prevent leaves collecting in there? The ditch is ~4m long, and 28cm from wall to rope edging - therefore too wide for Aco leaf cover.

Sponsored Links
pebbles or cobbles are much better than gravel, because they have bigger air gaps and do not hold water. They are also easier to sweep to remove leaves and other rubbish. They look better than some sort of mesh would. I don't think it matters if they are higher (as long as they don't block air bricks) because they don't get wet and have no capillarity.

pebbles or cobbles are much better than gravel, because they have bigger air gaps and do not hold water. They are also easier to sweep to remove leaves and other rubbish. They look better than some sort of mesh would. I don't think it matters if they are higher (as long as they don't block air bricks) because they don't get wet and have no capillarity.

Yes thats a good idea, as sweeping the gravel is a pain in the ass.

Looking at pic 2, i plan to fix a mesh vertically to prevent leaves, pests etc getting under. Any ideas on how to do this in the most aesthetically pleasing manner? i was just going to use a few screws into the stone...

I might prefer stainless hooks screwed to the wall, mesh will fix to hooks easily and can be removed when necessary.

Or just fill up the trench with cobbles. It mean's you can't trip or fall into the trench. My neighbour put French drain round his house filled with cobbles, he was getting water in the cellar. I think he has landscape fabric against the wall or under the top layer to prevent it clogging.

Sponsored Links
A leaf blower might be better than trying to sweep out leaves and litter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back