leak...but what can i do

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

First post, so please be gentle.

Set up: ground floor flat . kitchen-diner area at the back of the building with one radiator away on the internal wall. This wall backs onto the bathroom which occupies the middle "third", also with a radiator. Vaillant Ecomax boiler installed in the kitchen c 4years ago, no apparent problems since. The boiler has not been used for heating for a couple of months, although we obviously use it for hot water every morning!

Last night we noticed that our Vaillant Ecomax was "venting" every 30secs or so. Looking at the LCD the boiler seemed to think the hot water was on... which it wasn't.

looking around we noticed that there were some "hot spots" on the floor near the kitchen-diner radiator, and the radiator was warm for no reason but otherwise nothing seemed amiss. Anyway it was late....(famous last words...) Went to bed, showered etc next morning etc. and went to work.

Home in the evening and there is water seeping through the carpet at the radiator which was mystriously on as well as in the bathroom. The landlord says a plumber will be in tomorrow, but is there anything I should do in the meantime? I've switched the boiler off, so all the radiators have no cooled down but is this a boiler issue? burst hot water pipe? water pressure?

any ideas, plese let me know!

Sponsored Links
If its not your property dont worry about it too much.

You could turn water off in the meantime. Has the pressure dropped down on the boiler?

Theres possibly more than one fault here.

Ok well if pressure on the boiler hasnt changed the leak is most likely to be on the mains water side, either hot or cold.

From your description i would say its the hot as this would account for the boiler firing every few minutes. However if the radiators are heating up too, this suggests that the diverter valve may be passing too.

That should keep your landlords plumber busy!

Sponsored Links
Many thanks... basically switch off as much as i can and pray his plumber turns up tomorrow!

If any other members have any ideas, keep posting!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back