Leak from Cistern, flush valve seal? (dual flush)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just installed a new closed coupled 'Mytime' toilet from bathstore, quality looked good and good instructions etc. but now I have a leak coming from the cistern.

It looks like its dripping from the flush valve seal, just above the doughnut (looking through a tiny gap) it then drips down through the clearance hole for the water inlet! If I flush it, the leak doesn't get any worse.

When I assembled it the flush valve had a large cone shaped seal fitted to it, the washers are in the right order and the nut was done up tight by hand.

What could I have done wrong? the hole in the cistern looked ok, but the clay has a rough feel to it, could this be why its leaking?

Should I dry it out and seal around the flush valve seal with LS-X or similar, or take it all apart and use sealant between all parts?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It's not sealing correctly.

Take it apart again and double check you have the seals in the correct position. There shouldn't be any on the underside of the cistern.

It's possible that the porcelain isn't smooth where the seal should be.

Maybe nip up slightly tighter than hand tight.

Andy.

thanks.

when you say porcelain, It doesn't have the glossy white finish on the inside of the cistern, its just bare clay, is that normal these days?

the instructions say the order of assembly is -

1) flush valve (rubber cone washer attached)
2) cistern
3) flat rubber washer
4) plastic washer
5) plastic nut

guessing that 3) is just to take up any roughness on the underside of the cistern?

I did think about nipping the nut up slightly with waterpump pliers, but just tightened it up as much as I could with by hand.

As with most things it's good practice to follow the manufacturers instructions, which it seems you have done.

Maybe the cone seal isn't centralized in the hole.

How is the cistern connected to the pan?
Is it with 2 bolts that connect through 2 holes in the bottom of the cistern?
Your leak could be through these not sealing.

Andy.

Sponsored Links
Yes it has those plastic bolts with cone washers that pass through the cistern into the pan, but i'm pretty sure they're not leaking, when looking through the small gap the threads look bone dry.

If I take it all apart to tighten the flush valve nut, will I have problems with the other seals not sealing properly when I put it back together again?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back