Leak From Mira Advance Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a steady drip from my Mira Advance shower. It's about 9 years old. It's coming from under the inlet clamp (see pic.), where the brass inlet joins the flow valve. I didn't have a torx driver to remove the inlet clamp, will buy tomorrow.

Is it likely to be the join between inlet and flow valve that's leaking, ie. the o ring just to the left of part 13 on here?
http://www.showerdoc.com/shower-spares/mira/MIRA-PARENT-2-Mira-Advance-Standard---post-1995

Or, is it likely to be the flow valve itself?

Don't really want replace shower, as moving soon. Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for quick reply Seco. I was hoping you were about, as you seem to be the resident shower guru.

Will get torx driver tomorrow, and whip inlet clamp off. Hopefully, it a straightforward job.

If it's the o ring, is it best to get one from Mira, or elsewhere?

Thanks again.

I doubt you will get one seperate as it useally comes as a service kit of seals about £8.

Worth trying mira they maybe feeling generous.
But i always use george at the showerdoc.

Also check the copper inlet pipe isn't putting tension on the inlet connector
and trying to twist it.
So putting strain on the seal under the clamp.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Seco.

No, Mira weren't feeling generous, so I paid the 8 quid for the seal kit. Still a lot cheaper than a new shower!

Can I ask you, when I remove the inlet clamp, is it then best to undo the compression fitting on the inlet where the 15mm supply pipe goes in the back? Will the brass inlet then just pull out of the side of the flow valve, or is there more dismantling needed?

No, Mira weren't feeling generous, so I paid the 8 quid for the seal kit. Still a lot cheaper than a new shower!

Did think so, but you don't get if you don't ask.

when I remove the inlet clamp, is it then best to undo the compression fitting on the inlet where the 15mm supply pipe goes in the back?

Yes isolate water first
loosen nut or you won't get any play on the inlet connector to remove/replace seal.
Make sure you grip the hex inlet connector when tightening the nut back up or you can twist the inlet connector so seal won't sit square on flow valve.
This is a come sign when the seal leaks because it is off square.

Will the brass inlet then just pull out of the side of the flow valve, or is there more dismantling needed?

As said just the clamp and inlet supply nut holds it in place.

Put a new O ring in between flow valve and inlet. Still leaks. :(

Think I know why. The installer who put it in 10 yrs ago fitted the supply pipe straight into the rear of shower. The pipe should have an elbow on the end, to bend either up into the inlet compression joint, or down into it. Pipe just goes straight in from rear. Lasted 10 yrs tho.

This probably puts strain on the o ring joint. Also makes the compression nut a sod to get to, as it's behind the inlet virtually in the wall.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks Seco for your help.

Hope this makes sense.

Yes makes sense, shouls have an elbow then section of vertical pipe into inlet.

Sounds like the pipe is slightly to long and needs a few mm cut off.
Try slackening the screws off that hold shower to wall you'll more likely find it takes the pressure off the inlet and won't leak. :idea:

Just created a login after reading through this forum.
Firstly thanks for all input that is being shared.

I followed the links that were provided and done some searching along with price checking and have found that the cheapest place to buy these o-rings from is northwest spares.
All other sites were charging p+p which was driving the price up to close to 12 quid.
If your reading this you will probably want to check out their price.
They also use PayPal.
Thanks for reading.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back