Leak or Condensation????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had a thermostatic shower mixer installed in the bathroom. The wall that it was fixed against backs into a cupboard in the passage. Recently I have noticed wet patches on the wall in the cupboard. When I showed it to the person who installed the shower he swears its condensation where clearly I'm saying its a leak. He's refusing to fix or accept liability unless I get a second opinion. From my knowledges its unlikely to be condensation as the wet patches are only on the wall where the shower was installed. I've attached a picture of the damage.

Please can someone offer some advise?

Many Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A popular problem is poor sealing where the shower valve unit fixes onto the tile background.
Does the degree of dampness change at all? What I mean is, do things get worse after heavy shower usage, and better when people are away?
Are the shower supply pipes visible at all?
John :)

Yes gets worse after heavy usage, house is rented out and in the past 2 weeks a couple of them are away and because of less usage the problem has not become worse. The 2 that are away are due to return on Sunday and with more usage I can envisage the problem getting worse. Unfortunately the supply pipes are not visible.

I can't see this being condensation.....
The first thing is to carefully inspect the tile grouting around the shower valve area, and if possible remove the escutcheon plate from the valve (if its flush mounted) to see if any water is getting behind.
A heavier resort is to remove the plasterboard or whatever it is behind the valve, within the cupboard - to see if there are any nasties lurking within.
Can you give us a pic of the damp patches, or is that not convenient?

Sponsored Links
IMG_5509.JPG

A bit lower and further spread than what I expected, I must admit!
You need to look at the sealant and grouting at all of the tiles on the other side of that wall. Condensation? Ask the installer why there would be condensation there.....

Definitely some sort of leak, installer wants me to get second opinion before he is prepared to take responsibilty and start any repair work.

Definitely not condensation. Either ingress through the tile grout or a leaking joint.

Which side of the wall is he saying there is condensation , the shower side or in the cupboard?

I doubt that "some strangers on the 'net" will satisfy his desire for a second opinion!

Find any random plumber with some sort of qualification and offer him £50 to visit and say "that's a leak".

Has he even been back to look at it ? Arrange for him to come back then aim the shower at that wall to prove is getting wet from shower (good idea to trial it first).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back