Leak Sealer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A while ago I had a problem after fitting a new pump. What happened was that it was drawing air into the system somewhere. This was cured by turning the pump down to speed 2 after a few posts on this site (thanks to all who helped). Since it has been running on 2 the boiler cycles on and off quite a bit.

I tried turning it back up to 3 but it started to draw air in again. I'd like to use this stuff:

p_Leak_Sealer_500ml.jpg

Will it cure a leak that allows air into the system? Do you think I should run the pump on 2 or 3 when after I add the sealer?

Any other comments/suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks,

Voicey.

Sponsored Links
Have you bleed the air from the pump ? Turn the centre screw in the middle slightly with the system off.

masona said:
Have you bleed the air from the pump ? Turn the centre screw in the middle slightly with the system off.

Yes. I bled the pump after I fitted it as you described. My previous thread was:

here

Sponsored Links
taydo said:
what type of system have you got?

It is a non-combi system. Pump is grunfos. Boiler is potterton nettaheat electronic. In-direct hot water tank.

Open vented is as the name suggests open to the atmospere unless you have a water leak sealant will have no effect.

taydo said:
unless you have a water leak sealant will have no effect.

How would air get into the system then? I assumed it was a leak before the pump that drew the air in.

PS: Thanks for the reply.

its usually system design

if perhaps the pump was put on the return pipe origionally you can draw air into the system from the vent pipe.(not always though)

silly question but is the pump on the right way round?

or if the vent pipe was put in a bad position it will draw air when the pump was turned up high.

position 2 is quite standard for central heating pump why do you feel it would benefit by turning it up to three?

taydo said:
silly question but is the pump on the right way round?

Definatly yes. I took photos with my digital camera to aid fitting.

taydo said:
why do you feel it would benefit by turning it up to three?

Because the boiler is cycling on and off a lot more than it used to. I thought that with a higher flow rate the efficency would be improved. (Trying to recall my thermodynamic lectures here!).

Thanks,

Voicey.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back