Leak to downstairs ceiling where chimney used to be

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A year ago I had my downstairs chimney breast removed, the correct steel supports were put in place, etc. Since it's removal I get 1 wet patch on the downstairs ceiling exactly where the brick work would have been on the left hand side. I have had pepper-pots fitted and all the flaunching done and I still get the wet in heavy or persistent rainfall. There are no signs of damp /wetness in the loft or upstairs bedroom so I am assuming it can't be the lead flashing, etc... A roofer has told me it's unlikely to be coming down the chimney and wants to replace all the lead flashing but doesn't know if it's that! In very heavy rainfall you can hear water dripping directly onto the plasterboard ceiling... Any suggestions please!

Sponsored Links
You`re in Staffs - wait for Noseall to come on the forum - he does know what he`s doing ( and is in Staffs somewhere ] ;)

These are issues that arise from partially removing chimney breasts, and can be a pain to find when it only happens in persistent rain, can you not remove the rest and then slate it over.

Sponsored Links
I'd be looking at the mortar joint on the back gutter for starters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back