Leak under windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a leak in the corners under a run of plastic windows. There is a sill made out of tiles over brick underneath.
In the first photo you can see the corner under the window -disregard the major water stain to the side that is a gutter leak from a council property next door fixed after 10 months.
Can water run down inside the windows from above?

Sponsored Links
Perhaps ask the mods to move your post to the Building forum.

You have condensation issues.

Pic 1. can you show the whole panel below the cill, and use a better light.
Can you raise the net curtains and show the glazing frames?

Pic 2. shows a soffitt that has not been insulated, and, possibly, there is no felt or insulation below the rafters.

Pic 3. appears to show ondensation and perhaps no loft insulation.

Research recent posts on a similar line to yours - you'll find very similar pics
and much info for dealing with the causes of condensation in such conditions.

The cracked mortar that you refer to, is it external? Perhaps a pic?

i have put the photos up under albulm windows that are inside and top and bottom of outside. I have had wooden sash windows before and don't know about these windows at all.

1. Pics 1 and 2 show condensation. or the beginnings of mould staining.

2. Under the PVC frame there is a wet rotted softwood "base" that should have been removed prior to installing the sashes. Does the shallow interior cill actually run out to the exterior where there's a bit of cover trim and quarter round?

3. Moisture will probably be seeping thro and under the "base", and showing inside.

4. The tiles in the cill seem to have their joints just under or at the softwood "base".
Full tiles should have been run under the base.

5. There is no sign of lead flashing below the tiled cill.

6. Are there any other issues ref moisture running down the interior glass or upper PVC framing?

Sponsored Links
The windows would have had condensation as there was an olg fire but now there is a big radiator in the room.
What you say about the wooden sill sounds right i dont think the tiles go underneath and the inside sill does not go to outside. There is another set of windows above which are fine. There is no water from above. I guess I will have to try and waterproof the wooden sill the tiles and under the tiles and see what happens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back