Leaking beading on new Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

The top Windows on our new conservatory appear to leak water between the outer pvc and the beading. It's most noticeable when I pull them shut. Some of them were open in recent rain (because it was still so hot!) but surely they shouldn't have acquired water on inner beads (they open from te bottom so rain should run off the outside)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
? Or maybe I'm wrong? Any opinions would be greatly received!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not second hand windows are they?

Pvc windows have an inbuilt drainage system which should let any water dissipate. Clearly you have water building up behind the bead and under the glass, how does it get there you'll say? In the corners where the pvc is mitred and welded is the most common, the pvc itself has fused together and is water tight but the rubber gasket has not (or as well as it should), your pvc system or make is called 'duraflex', this system uses like a sponge foam covered in plastic similar to aquamac and q-lon gaskets, a very good gasket IMO for sealing along the length but does not fuse together very well in the corners, this is the area that's letting water in.

It's a simple fix really, get the guys back, they'll need to remove the glass units and apply a smear of clear silicone over the gasket joints, secondly they need to check that the opening sashes have had their drainage slots put in during fabrication at the factory, sometimes this is forgotten but can be done on site, if you open up the window and look underneath where the locking mechanism is you should see 2 slots drilled into the sash at each end, this let's the water out, my suspicion is they've forgotten to drill the holes from above, while they have the glass out they need to check this

image.jpeg
What a fantastic response. Thank you ever so much. I assume I'd be able to see drainage in the image above?
I just rang to ask them to check and the boss insisted it was 'condensation'. Which is odd, since it only a Happened after rainfall ;) I'll never use the company again. They d been truly awful

Screenshot_2016-09-20-16-58-06.jpg

Have a look right under the sash possibly look from inside the conservatory through the lower glass unit, there should be drainage slots where the 4 arrows are.

I've also circled some shrinking silicone, think they've used the wrong type, probably high modulus, there are two types of modulus; Low Modulus and High Modulus. Low Modulus sealants accommodate more movement - this is evident as they are softer to touch and are best used for exterior applications. High Modulus sealants accommodate less movement and are best used for interior applications.

There are two main types of cure; Acetoxy and Neutral. Both curing types cure by reaction with atmospheric moisture.
Acetoxy cure sealants give off a vinegary odour whilst curing, are generally high modulus and faster curing than neutral cure sealants. Whereas, Neutral cure sealants are low modulus and almost odourless.

Sponsored Links
Again, thank you for a superb response. The holes are totally absent.
Is the silicone just a case of being redone with the right type? I'm so sick of all their mistakes.
Is it heard of to get an independent party to come and inspect glazing work to check its up to standard? We are seriously worried about this installation. Lots of shortcuts. Including drilling holes into the aluminium roof ridge to accommodate lights because they did not use an ultra frame system as advertised

I just need to correct my last post. A wriggling infant stopped me making a proper inspection. There are in fact four rectangular drainage holes in the appropriate positions.

Cool (y), you had me worried for a bit that you had no drainage at all :eek:, either way they need to come back out to investigate the water seeping out of the glazing beads, the condensation excuse is just a cop out.

As for the silicone then you could probably pull it off like string if you can grab an end

I think you answered your own question. If you have your windows open in the rain the drainage will not work and you probably will get water in through the beads. Water does get in through the gasket that's why you have drainage. If the window is open the water will miss the drain slots

Right. Is this a new design thing then? Because not a single other window that opens from the bottom has this issue in our house. We often have them open in the rain in summer - the house would be too warm otherwise.
I guess I just don't understand how, if there are specific drainage holes, why it is coming through from the beading instead. And only when I close them. The water is still coming in after several days no rain and it appears to be prompted by flexing caused by the pulling of the handle pulling the rest of the PVC away from the beading

I stand by what I said above, water is getting through the gasket but is not draining away, either the the drainage holes haven't been drilled inside the sashes on perhaps the glazing packers obstructing the water from draining, unfortunately to get to the bottom of both those will involve the fitting company coming back, not sure how that sits with you if you've had some trouble with them?

It may take a strongly worded letter to them giving them 14 days to respond and/or rectify the issues or you will have no choice but to seek legal advice, may also involve getting someone in to carry out the work and sending them the bill

It's coming through the beading when they are open because the drain slots are at the front of the sash but the water is running to the back because the windows are open. That's my thought

Does it appear that any water is coming through the drain holes. Perhaps you could replicate the rain by opening the windows and pouring some water down it. then maybe tape up the drainage holes in the frame. shut the window and seed if any water is running out of the drainage holes in the sash into the frame.
Pretty poor on the part of the company especially as like Crank says this should be a pretty simple fix.

Thanks for all these replies. In theory the boss is coming by tomorrow. But I don't hold Out much hope as he keeps insisting on condensation. But then maybe I shouldn't expect much more from a company who have managed to scratch up three of the roof units during fitting, and fitting the vent so it's leaked already. Amongst many, many other things!

Hopefully he will turn up, remove the glass without a fuss and check that the drainage holes are present and working correctly. Then follow Cranks advice regarding sealing the corners. This is straightforward and should only take a few minutes. Have you noticed any water seeping in from around the handles aswell?

As in through where they are screwed in? Haven't noticed anything this far. Again, thank you so much everyone - I know nothing of this stuff and so at least now I can hold this man to account and get him to check properly!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back