leaking Cold Water Tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advice please.

I have water coming from under the tank but the tank is so large (4ft*2ft*2ft) that I cannot get beside it to work out the problem as the loft is very low and the tank is in the only high part.

Am I allowed to put in a smaller tank which will allow me much easier access? House is 3 bed semi with gas boiler/CH/header tank and normal HW cylinder.

Sponsored Links
A 4ft high tank seems a bit odd. Yes you can replace it for whatever shape you want. You want to be looking to get around 50 gallons capacity plastic tank.

rob884 said:
A 4ft high tank seems a bit odd.
Perhaps that's the length? Chances are that the leak is from one of the pipe connections to the tank, possibly the overflow, so it might be best to check there first. You could lower the height of the tank but that would reduce the pressure of hot water, which might affect the performance of showers.

Gents,
Thanks for your help. Tank is 4ft long and 2ft high
Why do I need 50 gallon tank?

Sponsored Links
bozzle said:
Gents,
Thanks for your help. Tank is 4ft long and 2ft high
Why do I need 50 gallon tank?

It should have read HxWxL!

You prob dont need 50 gallons but its a pretty standard size and should be more than enough to meet your needs. Should you have shower pumps etc fitted.

is it a galvanised steel tank? If so, probably rusted through.

Mine is 70/80 galls which I understand is unusually big, it will do a day's washing-up and WC flushing plus one deep bath (have only had one major failures of mains supply since I moved in).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back