Leaking enclosed cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My cistern is leaking where the central flush valve (not sure of correct terminology) connects via a pipe to the toilet.
Because the cistern is inside a tiled-in box, I can't see underneath of it, but, feeling with my hand, the leak seems to be coming from around the top of the connecting pipe where it enters the cistern. I can't feel a nut or washer on the bottom of the cistern so I'm wondering if it all should be sealed from inside the cistern. I've posted a picture.

I really want to fix it without dismantling the whole thing. I've attached a picture to help people understand what I'm talking about.

Many thanks,

John
cistern.jpg

Sponsored Links
You will need to cut an access to the front of the tile area. I see this all of the time. People want tiled bathrooms but do not think of the maintenance of the sanitary ware.

Post a picture of the front of the tiled cistern

Andy

That's what it looks like from the front. It's possible to get a spanner down beneath the cistern but you won't be able to see what you're doing at the same time. From the look of the first picture, I'd have thought that you could take the valve apart from above. I've got a plumber coming tomorrow.

Attachments

• tiles.jpg
    tiles.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 128
Sponsored Links
Most concealed cisterns would have a large nut connecting the flush valve to the cistern, then there would be another compression fitting with another nut connecting the flush pipe to the flush valve so I'd be very surprised if yours wasn't the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back