leaking glow worm 30ci

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I wonder if any kind person could identify this part for me. The combi started leaking this morning and drips away until the heating or hot water is used... then the water pours out! Please see the pic.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Looks like a drain down point, they sometimes have an O ring on them
boiler will need to be drained and the plug removed and resealed ;)

That picture is deceiving and I think that's the fill vave assy leaking and there is a modified fill loop kit for that.Was the pic taken looking up underneath boiler?If so then easy to replace.The boiler has to be depressurised and cold supply turned off b4 commencing work.

Sponsored Links
That picture is deceiving and I think that's the fill vave assy leaking and there is a modified fill loop kit for that.Was the pic taken looking up underneath boiler?

Yes it is from underneath, the bottom of the pic is the front of the combi, just behind the rad temp knob.

Then that is what's leaking and a modified fill valve assy is required.Part number is probably in spares list in Installation instructions.Sorry I don't have those details,but others on the site may have.

I new you'd be there mickyg but what took you so long ;) I can't get used to not having all the info at my fingertips.

the new ones leak just as well as the old ones :LOL: i've stopped fitting the modified disconectors now, they take more room up in the van

Many thanks for all the advice and help everyone.
The leak has stopped and all is bone dry, a gas fitter friend said he had a lot of these in the last few days, brought the bar pressure up to 1.5 and all is fine for the moment... no drip and more importantly no water gushing out when the heating is turned on!
I'll get the mod done though to make sure we don't get this problem in the future. Funny thing is the rads are MUCH hotter now that they were before this leak occurred. I wonder if there may have been an air lock in the combi?

Seems to me that this is a daft design by Glow worm in the first place. Why the hell have a valve where water can escape (or be drained) and put it where it can cause a flood. Couldn't they have capped it or attached a pipe like the overflow I ask myself.

Many thanks for all the advice and help everyone.
The leak has stopped and all is bone dry, a gas fitter friend said he had a lot of these in the last few days, brought the bar pressure up to 1.5 and all is fine for the moment... no drip and more importantly no water gushing out when the heating is turned on!
I'll get the mod done though to make sure we don't get this problem in the future. Funny thing is the rads are MUCH hotter now that they were before this leak occurred. I wonder if there may have been an air lock in the combi?

Seems to me that this is a daft design by Glow worm in the first place. Why the hell have a valve where water can escape (or be drained) and put it where it can cause a flood. Couldn't they have capped it or attached a pipe like the overflow I ask myself.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: get real :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

ads are MUCH hotter now that they were before this leak occurred

Always makes me laugh this one. For some reason I get lots of customers saying just that, even when i have done nothing to make it better.

E.G...change a rad valve.....cust:"i don't know what you have done but the heating and hot water have never been as good since you changed that rad valve":cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back