Leaking Kitchen Sink (Plumber or DIY?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our kitchen sink has suddenly started leaking and unsure whether to attempt to fix it or call in a plumber. Hoping someone can help!

I've read some similar posts however not sure exactly where the issues lies; and whether I have the tools for the job.

It leaks when the sink is being used; and stops after water drains down the sink.

Water appears to be leaking from the space between the rubber gasket and the underside of the sink. Therefore I don't currently think it is a tap issue or supply line issue.

Is there something I can do with basic tools to check the problem?

Where do I begin?

Is it a blockage issue? Can I remove the p-trap without tools and check it?

Link for my own reference on kitchen sink "terminology":
http://trustedeblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/kitchen-sink-OverLg.jpg

Sponsored Links
Unscrew your trap (u bend) and check for clogg. Clean it all out and when tightening back up check for damaged washers.

Should be easy to do just remember not to wash them in the same sink while you have the trap off! Its easy to go into auto pilot!

EDIT: The trap can be undone by hand just twist it to undo and reverse to do up.

So the leak is between the large trap washer and the sink....you should see a large slotted screw in the centre of the strainer, use a coin and see if you can tighten it up a little more. Otherwise a new washer or just a little sealant either side of the washer should do it.

Yup, straightforward DIY fix As GG says.

From inside the sink, the waste in the centre should have either a screw or a slotted nut.

That can either be -
1) tightened as GG mentions and see if it seals
2) unscrewed and then take the sink waste strainer out, releasing the underside washer and plastic waste. Dry in between the sink, rubber washer and plastic, then a squirt of silicon as far in as you can get it all the way round.
Back into the sink and pop the strainer back in and screw back down centering from underneath as you tighten, nice and tight. Then wait for 30 mins before filling.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses!

I checked the p-trap that I could remove with no tools. This appeared relatively clean. I rinsed this pipe and reattached it. It did not stop the leak.

Prior to seeing the newer response - In the sink I tried turning the strainer and this did seem to work (temporarily).

I will retry with a coin or screwdriver. I was turning the strainer with my hands but wasn't sure if it was making much of a difference.

Do I turn it clockwise until it stops turning?

Yes turn the screw clockwise but don't over do it. As said washer may have had it so strip it down and a little silicon either side should sort it.

Thanks for the responses!

I checked the p-trap that I could remove with no tools. This appeared relatively clean. I rinsed this pipe and reattached it. It did not stop the leak.

Prior to seeing the newer response - In the sink I tried turning the strainer and this did seem to work (temporarily).

I will retry with a coin or screwdriver. I was turning the strainer with my hands but wasn't sure if it was making much of a difference.

Do I turn it clockwise until it stops turning?

If it keeps turning but doesn't tighten then the thread is probably shot.

Check if it's a brass or plastic centre to the waste that the screw tightens into. The plastic one strip easily, the brass ones are a bit more durable.

Thanks all!

I took a fifty pence coin and tightened the strainer. No more leaking!

It took a couple of clockwise turns to tighten. Hopefully will last for a little longer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back