LEAKING ON THE PIPE JOINT TO THE TOILET BOWL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My problem is currently there is leaking on the joint of the pipe that connected to my toilet bowl.

The first thing i notice couple of months ago was the the cistern seems to grow some gaps from the toilet wall. It used to be very close like u can't even fit you hands into it but now it has grow to 6-7cm away from the wall. (Please refer to the first 2 pic i provide)

A few days ago, i noticed water starts dripping from the joint each time i flush the toilet. i tried to put some sealant, but obviously it start leaking after 3 days. (3rd and 4th pic is the joint that i'm talking about. i might be wrong in the term but hope the picture help)

I'm still thinking whether there's a DIY that i can do before i decided to call in a plumber (which going to cost me a fortune)

Anyway it's a 1889 building.

Your reply is very much appreciated. Thank You.

Sponsored Links
I hope it's not your wall is moving! :LOL:

Assuming your toilet pan is fixed to the floor, it maybe unlikely that the leak is actually coming from the toilet pan connector, that you show in the picture.

As you point out that the cistern has moved and is obviously not fixed to the wall then the leak could be from above underneath the cistern. When you flush, the water drips or runs down onto the toilet pan connector, which gives the impression it is the toilet pan connector that is at fault.

If you flush the toilet check around where the cistern joins the toilet pan to see if there are any water run/drips or damp.

Lay some toilet tissue on top of the pan connector and see if it gets wet when you flush. If it does, the leak is probably from the cistern to pan joint, as moggridgeplumbing suggested, rather than the pan to soil pipe joint.

Of course, if the pan isn't screwed down to the floor either, the whole assembly could be slowly walking away from the wall, pulling the spigot out of the pan connector.

Sponsored Links
Lift the lid off the cistern and see what's happening to the screws that should be securing the cistern to the wall.

Along with the others, my money is on the flush pipe leaking, not the soil pipe below.

Possibly the cistern is coming away from the wall, twisting and putting pressure on the flush pipe to pan joint. This makes it leak.

If the gap is opening up, needs securing, or it may possibly come away altogether.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back